♤ .Chapter 4. ♤

I went straight home. I told the book club people and my art teacher that I would be missing out on the first day. What I got in return, "Make sure the guy gets what he deserves." Mr. Holland on the other hand, he told me who he was: Bernard Johnson, the star quarterback. Other than that, he gave me my first assignment. He said that I'm excused, that he'll pin it on him instead. Though in return, I have to make it up for writing a two-page essay on how and why I followed the path towards the artistic ways of being a graphic designer.

~♤♤♤~

**ring! ring!** , **ring! ring!**

"Hello," I answered my phone.

"Where the sneezing rods are you?"

"Hey Noelle," sarcasm filled the air.

"Hitoyouto," Noelle quickly greeted. "Now where the balls are you?"

"I left. The writing club members know what happened, I told them."

"What - "

I hung up the phone before she said or asked anything else. I just don't feel like talking to anyone right now. I thank my whiskers my cat Kalette cheering me up, though. She lays in between my crossed legs. 

"How's my little dumpling?"

That's my dad right there. He always  cares for me, and he's the one who gave me a ride home. I honestly am glad that he was already out of work. Otherwise, I would've walked home. Smiling upon me waiting for an answer, he leaned against the wall.

"I'm fine, just a bit tired though."

My dad slid in and sat down beside me. As he petted my right leg, I knew then he wanted to know what happened to me. I never really told him, just that it was a bad day.

"What happened?"

"Nothing," I tell him a partial truth. "Just got wet by someone is all."

"Who is he," anger found its way in my dad's vocal tone.

"Not a he, dad. Just forget it, it's nothing."
"Then I'll - "

"Dad," I pull him back down on the bed. "Seriously, I'm still in one piece. Okay?"

With that, he nodded. He left me alone in my room with Kalette. I hear her purr as I gently pet her body. The last thing I want dad to worry about was what really happened. I don't want to talk about it, and I definitely don't want to remember it. I just wish Bernard didn't leave me all alone. I was scared to death.

I hear the doorbell ring as my thoughts get interrupted. My dad yelled, "I got it!" as I was just about to get up moving Kalette to the side. It was already too late as I woke her up. Thanks for nothing, dad. I then hear a familiar voice downstairs just loud enough for me to hear.

"Her friends sent me her address," that muscular voice, "said they're worried about her, but they can't get out of class."

"And I'm guessing they let popular people off the hook?"

"Uh, no sir." I came close to my door to hear his low, husky voice. "We've got a game today is the reason why."

"On the first day of college?"

"The coach is really motivated, not like any other you see around here."

"Ah, yes. That would be Mr. Goldstein."
"You know him," he sounds puzzled.

"Yeah, he's an old friend of mine."

"Oh, I see."

Kalette's body brushed against my legs as she let out a meow going down the stairwell. At the same time, I also went out of my room just a tad bit enough for my dad and him to see me up the stairs. Bernard...

"Alliah," my name sounds so sweet coming out of his mouth.

"Uh, hi," was all that came out of mine.

Bernard excused himself, but I went down the stairs before he could go up all the way. My dad looked at me, but he knew that I wanted us to be left alone. Bernard and I are at the bottom of the stairwell, our eyes meeting each other. Is he about to apologize?

"I swear it's not my fault," his voice went soft.

"What're you talking about?" He didn't do anything but leave me behind.

"There's a girl you should be aware of," he warned me. "Her name is Jasmeen Teil."

"Why're you telling me this," my voice cracks towards the end.

"Because she knows one of you, and she wanted me to leave you alone in that shower."

"Wait, what?"

I became so confused now. He's a part of this? Then again I just met him, and I barely know anything about him. He could be bad, trouble or even worse. But at the same time, he's a football jock that ... apologizes? I have no fudging clue. 

"Allie," why is he calling me that?

"Look, I understand if you get mad at me after this. In fact, it won't shock or surprise me if you do. I don't know what happened after I left, mostly because I never wanted to know in the first place. But Allie, it was planned out. We were baited. You were my bait, you were Jasmeen's bait, and I'm as well as Jasmeen's bait after this. I don't know what she wants, but all I know that she told me is that she wants to ruin Noelle and her friend's life for what she did to her. And that includes you."

I don't buy it. He may be telling the truth, but what if I was supposed to think that? I don't want to be a part of this, but he mentioned Noelle. If anything, I'd do anything to protect her. However, I have to protect myself. Anthony can protect himself, but what about other friends she might make? I don't want this to be true, so right now I have no choice but to believe in Bernard right now.

"Say if you're telling the truth," and I doubt myself for it. "Wouldn't she do it herself directly?"

"That's what she wants you to think," he became tense. "What happened to you is also what happened to other victims."

"What do you mean?" I became curious.

"She's basically a bitch," he growled. "Have you seen either Mean Girls or Sydney White?"

"Yes to both," I love them. "Sorry to ask, but you watch those?"

"I'm a sucker for chick flicks," he shyly confessed.

Okay, he's telling the truth. But what am I going to do now? I can't go back to school just after I told the events of today. Shit, then that means Bernard didn't intentionally do it. How am I supposed to reach Noelle if she can't answer her phone for the rest of the club meeting?

"Bernard," I say harmoniously, "can you do me a big favor?"