Chapter 2 - After All These Years (Part One)

Start from the beginning

"Ruby..." I warned in a low voice. 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I just came to remind you that we need to leave in an hour for your meeting with Ramirez."

"Oh shit, I forgot about that meeting. Damn it, I do not have time for that Spanish fool. I have other matters to attend to."

"We can't cancel it this time Dom. Otherwise, you are declaring war if you do not show."

"Yes, I am very well aware of that fact." 

I got up and grabbed my coat. As I put it on I gave my instructions. 

"Get Lorenzo on board. He will accompany us. I need all his technology at this meeting. Also please get a location on Dani and Odette then send Marcel out to watch and escort them. Make sure they are home before dark. No exceptions and no arguing from Dani. Also, tell Lorenzo we are leaving in 15 minutes. I need a bloody good strong cup of caffeine if I am to get through this afternoon." 

"Got it. Meet you downstairs." 

Ruby rolled up her sleeves and walked out of the office.  

Dani was living with me and was my responsibility. Her and Odette, my precious 5-year-old niece. Dani was 18 when she had Odette. She messed up a lot as a teenager. I guess you could say she acted out a lot. Mom died 3 years after our father and Dani was only 15 years old. It is a huge ordeal losing your mother, your best friend, your confidant at such a tender age like 15. And I wasn't the best of help so she turned to other things. Partying, drugs, alcohol, boys... all the elements for a huge mistake. We butted heads a lot and were always fighting. I was too young to understand it made things worse. And I was too involved in the family business to actually try to understand her and help her. I blame myself for those years of hardship she went through. 

However, she made me exceptionally proud when she stepped up after she found out about Odette. She never once faltered, never once failed, and never gave it a second thought to being the best mother she could be to her. The mother we had. Odette's father was one of my bodyguards who I had assigned to guard Dani at one point. I guess things happened. At first, I was ready to rip him to pieces, but then I realized the difference he made in her. 

He made her a better person. He saved her from herself. He managed to get her on the straight and narrow. He did everything I failed to do as her guardian. He was 4 years older than her and unfortunately, he died protecting her while she was still pregnant. It crushed her. It truly did, but he had already left his mark on her to persevere and become the woman and mother she is today. 

I think without Odette, Dani might not have made it out of that final dark blow in life. She is now 23 years old and runs a successful bakery. She truly amazes me. Yes, I helped her establish the bakery, but make no mistake she paid it all back and worked her ass off to make it what it is. Like I said I am very proud of her. And now she and Odette are my only priority. 

I headed to my bedroom, to my bedside drawer. I took out my gun and holster and placed it on me. I then made my way downstairs and as Ruby had said, she was there waiting with Lorenzo who was holding his gear. Lorenzo is my IT guy if you want to call him that. He hacks into systems, databases, and deals with all the tracking technology, the cameras in the house, warehouse, docks, and clubs. He is probably one of the most important people in my familia as I like to call them. They are that instead of the formal 'employees', 

"Ready?" Lorenzo nodded and Ruby saluted me. She is always so extra in her ways. I couldn't help but grin. 

"Let's go. We making a stop at the La Colombe on 6th avenue."

"Oh yes! Best coffee in town. Thanks, Dommy!" 

I glared at Ruby when she tried wrapping her arm around my shoulders. Not only was she shorter, so this was highly amusing to see her on her tiptoes attempting this. But the humor drained from me when I heard her nickname. This woman is a real pain in my ass. 

"I am pretty sure we have spoken about that... nickname..." I seethed. "Remember who you are talking to!" 

"Goodness me, if looks could kill. Lighten up, Boss. I think we need to find a better sucker for you. Clearly, Alexa just ain't doing it." 

I heard both Lorenzo and Marcel snicker from behind me and watched as Ruby sprinted out the front door. She better run if she knows what's good for her. 

Love Angie

Love Angie

xxx