Chapter 1: Eyes the Size of Baby Worlds

"Hippos are born underwater."

Camila never forgot that. It was the only thing running through her mind as she stood with her parents, preparing to walk down the aisle to join her bride. She peeked around the tree line at the small crowd of friends and family. They sat in small white chairs, soaking up the sun, probably overheating, but Camila didn't really care at the moment.

As long as the lovely woman standing at the head of the aisle was smiling, Camila was happy.

She was about to get married. Hippos probably  shouldn't be at the forefront of her mind.

She'd already tripped over her flowy, white dress twice. Her parents looped their arms through both of hers, so now she could dangle freely like a toddler if she fell again. She was tempted to do it, just because she was sort of out of her mind at the moment, but then she remembered she was an adult.

Adults don't do that, Camila.

"I think it's probably really scary. When you're just a little hippo and you have to get out of the water where you were born."

God. Fucking focus.

Lauren probably wasn't having these thoughts. No. She would be thinking about polar bears prancing down the aisle, or wishing she could break away from the ceremony for a minute to frolic with the butterflies around them in Central Park's Conservatory Garden.

Alejandro nudged Camila's side, and she looked up at him with a frantic smile. She'd gone full circle crazy during this whole wedding planning process, rounding multiple bends and dips, and then landing right back where she'd started. Crazy with Lauren. Crazy like Lauren. And for Lauren and all about Lauren.

Camila took a deep breath and squared her shoulders. She gave up on trying to stop her face from smiling like a fool.

This was happening. Right now.

The music started to play, and Camila's parents guided her around the tree line, grinning proudly, heads held high. Camila staggered as soon as the ceremony came into view. Almost internally. That kind of feeling when your ankles almost give out and you feel like you're about to die, but you right yourself immediately and nobody else even notices.

Camila was seconds away from collapsing into a heap, but she strode smoothly on.

Her gaze was locked onto the woman at the end of the aisle. Her fluffy brown hair was tamed for once, and pinned neatly into place. She wore a mid-length white dress and a huge, adoring smile, and she was rocking back and forth on her heels excitedly, fingers tapping her thighs.

Camila didn't register the smiles on her friends' faces, or the tears that her parents were trying to stifle. She didn't the notice the four dogs sitting off to the side wearing matching tuxedos, or the one black and white dog chewing his way out of his attire and spinning around like a psychopath.

All thoughts of baby hippos were long gone. Camila focused on her bear instead.

Her parents kissed her cheeks when they reached the end of the aisle, and Camila handed her bouquet to Dinah and stepped in front of Lauren.

Looking up at her bride was like staring at the sun. Camila had to keep blinking her eyes.

Also, it was insanely hot outside.

"You're the most beautiful person I've ever seen." Lauren whispered.

Camila smiled and flushed, and Lauren looked pleased with herself. Camila took Lauren's hands to stop her shifting and tapping.

She really did try to listen to whatever the minister was saying. But Lauren's face was shining with the intensity of a thousand suns, and Camila's face was hurting from smiling so she just tumbled off the tracks and got lost in green eyes instead.