The Fight

Nut watched the closing ceremony from a distance with a heavy heart. He couldn't help but to think how it would feel if he were on the field with the rest of his fellow first years, enjoying the moment as they finally graduate from hazing activities.

All were nothing but a foolish dream. The reality was, Forth kicked the three of them out from the Brotherhood, banning them from their activities henceforth.

After everyone had gone home, Nut remained in his secret viewing spot with Dom and Ek for the longest time. He was sure that both friends shared his sentiments about the whole thing.

"Nut, what are we going to do?"

Nut looked at Dom, shrugged his shoulders. "At this point, I don't know what else we can do."

"I think we should just lay low for a while. P'Forth is extremely unhappy now. If we keep pushing our way through, it'd be suicide," Ek said.

The other two nodded their head in agreement. "Let's hope that we can survive this. Today is only the first day and I already felt like shit," Dom added.

Nut stood up, brushed the sand from his back and hands. "Come on, let's get back. It's getting late."

Dom and Ek did the same and together they walked out of the football field silently.

"Hey, that's P'Beam and P'Forth!" Dom whispered, pulling Nut and Ek to hide behind a large pillar.

Nut honestly didn't know why they should hide. It wasn't actually a crime to stay in the faculty after dark. But Forth and Beam were fascinating to watch, so much so Nut couldn't tear his gaze away from them. The Engineering leader was very gentle with Beam, and occasionally would place his hands on the small of Beam's back as they walked side by side.

Beam didn't seem to mind the PDA and continued to smile at his lover.

It was a sight so rare and precious that Nut wondered if he should be looking in the first place. He felt slightly intrusive and was about to ask his friends to leave quietly when Dom smacked his shoulders repeatedly.

"What the hell, Dom?" Nut hissed angrily.

His friend, nearly hyperventilating at the point, could not even answer.

Nut grudgingly followed the direction that Dom had pointed and felt his heart stopped. In a matter of seconds, the deserted student parking was surrounded by a group of at least twenty men. All were probably youth gang members saved for the leader who was dressed in his university uniform. Nut couldn't recognize the man but judging from his looks, he was probably a senior from another faculty.

The group closed on Forth and Beam like a pack of wolves cornering their prey.

"Shit, what are we supposed to do?" Ek asked, alarmed.

"Should we help?" Dom asked his friends.

"Are you crazy? We can't even fight!" Nut said.

Dom's eyes glanced back and forth at Forth and Nut. "But we can't ignore it! We're engineering students!"

"We got kicked out, remember?" Nut reminded.

"This is our brotherhood, Nut. I'm going," Dom said, attempting to get up.

Nut pulled him back. "You'll be killed!"

"Then we're going to sit here like cowards?"

"Of course not!"

Ek and Dom glared at Nut. "Nut, stop saying things in circle. Are you or are you not going?"

Still shaking, Nut could only stare at his seniors. He had never even quarreled with anyone, let alone involved in gang fights. He was always the nerdy and smarter kid among his friends. This was beyond his physical capabilities.