Chapter Fourty ; Mama

She grew up faster than we wanted. The clothes we bought her at first were thrown out; she needed a bigger size. Her cradle never changed though. When she's big enough to have her own bed we'll buy her one.

For Easter, we had flown back to Houston to have dinner with my family one day and Awsten's family the next. We stayed in a hotel for those nights.

Awsten started this trend of buying Skye specifically minion branded baby clothes. He began at clothes, then it branched out to minion hair bands and minion stuffies. For someone who claims that minions are full of evil, he can't stop buying any minion merchandise he finds.

Arriving at my parents' house, their eyes directed to Skye as soon as they opened the door. "Here she is!" My mom exclaimed while whispering. As a three-month-old, people already started pointing out the similarities between her and her parents.

We sat around the table. Mom brought up mine and Claire's old high chair for Skye, placing it between Awsten and I. That night was the most positive I felt in a while. Mom and dad played with Skye even if she didn't understand what they were doing.

During the time at their house, I had zoned out while watching everyone playing with her. Only last year Awsten and I had only wished for a child, now here we are. A little baby girl, just like Awsten wanted.

At midnight Awsten drove us back to the hotel room. Being able to carry Skye up to our room felt unreal. She's our child. We did this.

That night we slept with Skye between the two of us, creating a baby cradle out of our legs.

The next night we went to Awsten's parents' house. They were just as surprised, if not, more, like my parents. His mom took Skye into her arms as soon as she saw her.

It must have been overwhelming for Skye because she began to cry while all eyes were in her. Her blue eyes sparkled with tears, begging for her mommy to hold her, so I quickly held her before she could get any louder.

We ate chicken and drank wine, laughing with each other. Skye had a serving of peas with applesauce.

Gracie had brought Skye up to her room afterwards, wanting to play with her. Of course, I trusted her, so Awsten and I had our time without the child ever since we got her.

"The first impression about being a mother, go," Awsten asked, taking a sip of orange juice. His parents went outside to set up for something, they wouldn't say. Whatever, I shouldn't ask if they aren't going to say.

"I wouldn't trade it for the world." It was true. This was always something I've wanted to do since I was a little girl myself. "What about you? How's the father life?"

He took a sip of his orange juice. "I'd probably hate it if I wasn't doing this with you."

From upstairs were screams of joy. Skye had grabbed Gracie's index finger, falling asleep. She soon woke up crying because of Gracie's outburst.

"I'm sorry," she guiltily smiled, not taking her eyes off of the crying baby.

After not getting Skye to go back to sleep, Awsten and I decided it would be a good time to go back to the hotel. We said our goodbyes and reassured Gracie that us leaving wasn't because of her.

In the morning we would be flying back to Los Angeles, so any amount of sleep would be great. Skye calmed down since leaving, falling asleep as soon as we put her on the bed.

"I was thinking, maybe we could come back for the Fourth of July?" Awsten mentioned, sliding into his pyjamas. "Just watch the fireworks. My mom could babysit Skye - or your mom. We probably shouldn't let Gracie near her again."

I nodded my head, smiling at his last point. "I'd like that a lot." For the Fourth of July I'd always stay in for two reasons: no one to go out with and the fireworks always started too late. Naturally, I'm a tired person, so staying up for fireworks seem unrealistic.

In the morning we drove to the airport and got on the airplane, Skye awake during all of this. Four hours after taking off, we were finally back in Los Angeles.

"I texted my mom about it. She's okay with us sleeping over for Fourth of July," Awsten said once we got into our car. "Maybe my parents could meet your parents?"

He turned on the car, backing out of the parking space and driving off. Our house wasn't that far away from the airport, but long enough that he decided to put on music.

"That would be awesome," I said, looking behind me at Skye, who was sleeping once again. Babies really do spend a lot of their time being unconscious.

So that's what we did. On the Fourth of July, we flew back to Houston and got picked up by Awsten's parents. Awsten and I sat with Skye between us in a car seat, which was once Awsten's.

"How's your day been, Scarlet?" Awsten's mom asked, looking at me through the car window.

"If I'm being honest, it's been a long day." I went over that packing to come out here takes a lot when your boyfriend is like a child and can't pack his own bag, so it was as if there were two children living with me. Even though it was eight in the morning right now, it's been a long day so far.

We got to their house and Awsten took it upon himself to carry all the bags to the spare room since he didn't pack the bags. I brought Skye in and sat on the couch once I saw it.

After five minutes, Awsten came downstairs. That was a suspicious time to be upstairs just to drop off bags, but whatever. Awsten asked to hold our child and I allowed him, obviously.

She's started crawling around and saying unintelligible words, soon to be walking and speaking real words. Awsten let her down, allowing her to crawl around the living room.

"You two want anything?" His mom came into the room. "That airplane ride must have made you hungry."

"I'm good," I said, "I'm probably going to take a nap soon. Gotta be awake for the fireworks tonight." When those words were spoken, her eyes shot to Awsten, smiling at him. Weird.

Skye has done her laps around the living room, gaining marks on her knees from crawling on the carpet. Coming around to Awsten and me, she looked up, her blue eyes like her father's stared at me.

"Mama," she mumbled, grabbing onto my leg. Oh my god.

Awsten was just as surprised as me, his mouth open but unable to speak. Skye has just said her first word, and I'd remember the day forever.

"She said mama!" I exclaimed, picking her up. "That's me! Awsten!" The both of us were in two different states of shock. Awsten couldn't speak and all I could do was speak.

For five minutes we couldn't get over it, then she fell asleep and we had no choice but to shut up and allow her to sleep without interruptions.

"I'll take her to bed with me," I stayed, picking Skye up slowly. "See you tonight." I kissed Awsten on the cheek and brought Skye to the spare bedroom with me.

I changed into my pyjamas and placed Skye next to me on the bed. We fell asleep easily, mostly because she's a baby still and can sleep at any time and I was just very tired.

-Reminder to leave a vote if you enjoyed this!-