Chapter Thirty-Eight ; Tell Me Something

The morning I woke up alone and felt fear of where Awsten went. The worst that he could do would be to go downstairs and talk to my family; so that's exactly what he did.

I caught him in the middle of a conversation with my dad, "No bad intentions, I swear! I love her a lot. To be honest, I can't see a life without her." As badly as I'd like to eavesdrop for the entire day, my stomach wouldn't allow it.

Walking into the kitchen, where my dad and Awsten were, I pulled out the cereal and placed it on the table, pouring myself breakfast. "Dad, don't bother him," I sighed, believing that he was worrying Awsten.

As I sat down, Awsten pulled up a chair next to me and said, "We were just talking about how much I love you." To that, my dad mumbled "Gross" and left the kitchen. "Isn't he married?" Awsten joked, picking a piece of my cereal and throwing it in his mouth.

When I finished my breakfast, Awsten and I sat in the living room watching daytime television. Claire would soon pop in later to bother us, much like I believed my dad was doing to Awsten. This family is just an annoyance.

"Mister Awsten Knight," she announced, stepping into the living room. "May I talk with you for a second?" Her face was hard to read, probably because I haven't seen her in so long that I forgot the way she would show her emotions. Although, for sure there was a touch of anger in there.

He shrugged at me and got up off the couch, following my sister into a different room. I hope she wasn't getting upset at him. I'm not sure what reason she would have to go off on my boyfriend, but I'm letting it slide unless I hear screaming.

They were gone for about ten minutes until they came back, a bit suspicious to be honest. Awsten came into the room trying to be collective and calm, while Claire wasn't hesitating to just walk in with a huge grin.

"Okay..." I trailed off, "Ready to go?" Standing up, I stretched myself as I waited for Awsten's answer.

He looked over at Claire before nodding, a smile sneaking onto his face. I'd love to ask him what that's all about but knowing Awsten, he won't tell me and surprise me with it.

As we got into the car, I took my shot by asking what happened inside. Of course, Awsten simply smiled and shrugged, saying he didn't know what I was talking about. This bothered me but not enough to be uncomfortable.

Later in the month, Awsten and I drove to his parents' house.

"Promise me they won't hate me?" I asked, putting on a large t-shirt; the only thing that can fit me now. Late August, almost five months into my pregnancy. Just another four and I'll be a mother.

He rolled his eyes, pulling that same pink shirt over his head. "After all the good things I've told them? Yeah, don't think so." His hair was neatly combed to one side, the purple slowly fading out.

Following me making sure I looked presentable, Awsten grabbed the car keys and raced me down to the car. He knew I wouldn't be able to run there, he must've just wanted to do something before I got there. I know this because when I got to the apartment parking, I heard him talking to his mom to make sure everything is ready and to be nice to me. More than she would usually be.

Pulling into the driveway, Awsten's mom was sitting on the porch for us. "Awsten! This must be Scarlet!" She exclaimed, bringing me into a hug, comparable to how my mom hugged Awsten. We stepped in the house, taking off our shoes at the entrance.

Everyone was very nice to me, and I hope it's not because Awsten had told them previously to be. His mom asked me about how we met, to which I gladly explained but not in too much detail; didn't want to worry her about her little boy.

His dad was the first to say something about my baby bump, which the others hadn't noticed. His family was supportive of it, and I can understand why. They told me how sometimes Awsten calls just to say how we're doing. They can't see Awsten with anyone else.

His sister, Gracie, bonded quickly with me. While Awsten and his parents spoke about how Waterparks was doing, Gracie and I took a break outside and said whatever was on our mind.

"I really don't want to see him hurt," she said, staring at the slowly setting sun. "He never talks about it with us but I know he was never okay. You've made him so happy, you know?"

I nodded. "He makes me really happy."

The sun was going down, turning the bright blue sky into an orange. Airplanes cut through the clouds, dragging designs in them. Gracie and I stood outside until the breeze started building up, convincing us to go back inside.

As soon as we shut the door Awsten rushed to me like an excited puppy. "Scar, did you two get along?" He exclaimed, eyes shooting between the both of us.

"Yes, Aws," I laughed. Walking with him back to the living room, I sat down next to him.

The aura changed the last time I was in here, making everything just a little bit more suspicious. His parents treated me as if I had saved a burning bus full of children. Whatever Awsten said to them while I was with Gracie, it sure did make a difference with how they see me.

We stayed at their place until eleven, when the moon was lighting up the sky dimly, but just enough to illuminate the sidewalks.

"Thank you, Miss and Mister Knight!" I shouted from the car, getting into the passenger side. "Can't wait to see you again!"

They welcomed me back for any time, waving a goodbye as Awsten pulled out of the driveway. Outside, it was cold while the car drove along the roads and backroads. Streetlights assisted the moon in giving a guide of where to walk.

From the radio, a song on the top 100 blasted in and out of the car, loud enough for anyone to hear. Turning it down, I looked over to Awsten. Stubble was coming back and his jawline was very prominent under the moonlight.

Taking another shot, I asked about what happened inside while Gracie and I were outside. "You'll figure out soon," he smirked.

That wasn't good enough for me, as I asked him once again, "Awsten, seriously, what's going on?"

Once again, he smirked. "Eleven months." What does that even mean? What's happening in July? "Wait eleven months. This'll all make sense." As much as I want to know what's going on in July, surprises are always fun.

That night I stayed over at Awsten's place, cuddled up against him while he Googled Los Angeles houses. I hope he finds one before Skye gets born.

-Reminder to leave a vote if you enjoyed this!-