Chapter 3

Percy had cleared out his cabin and left. That was that, he wasn't coming back to camp again. It's not like he'd really want to now anyway, after how he left things with Annabeth.

Just thinking about her made his head start to spin even worse. Have I made a mistake? He thought should I have told her what's really going on. But how? How could he even begin to explain what was happening? The doctors didn't understand, nor did the gods. Apollo only said that Percy had fourteen days, and that was yesterday. No way to stop it.

As each moment passed the throbbing in his head was very irritating and annoying. He could feel the ground underneath him jumping. He couldn't stay at camp but there was no way that he could fight. There was only one place safe for him, the sea.

With that, he dived. He was already on the beach at least he didn't have far to travel. He used what very little power he had left to make the currents take him to his father's palace. And then completely after passed out.

When he finally woke up he saw one big brown eye looking down at him, with a concerned look. "Percy?"

"Hey Tyson," He replied, "How long have I been out?"

"A few hours. Daddy's been looking worried since yesterday, did he tell you why?

Percy gave him a sad smile. If he could trust anyone with the truth it was his brother. But still, Percy could see how upset he was. And the excitement in his eye when he thought Percy could help...well he just couldn't bring himself to take that away from Tyson.

"Of course I'm here to help, buddy," Percy lied, "and to see you." Now that wasn't a complete lie. He did want to see Tyson before...but he mainly came here to feel secure.

"Yay!" Tyson cheered, "I'll go tell daddy you're awake." He left the room laughing and clapping his hands.

Percy frowned to himself. Now that's two people who you care about that you've lied to. But he couldn't help himself. He'd expected Tyson to know already. He thought that his dad would've broken the news. He was, after all, there when Apollo told Percy in the first place. All the gods were.

He remembered the two gods who seemed most concerned were Poseidon, obviously, and Athena. Of course she was probably thinking about Annabeth and how she'd be affected by this (but still, Percy was surprised by her reaction). And he had failed miserably in how he handled the situation with Annabeth. He was pretty sure that he had pissed off that certain goddess.

That was when Poseidon entered, pulling Percy out of his thoughts. You could see the sadness is his eyes, but he was trying to keep up a brave face for his son.

"Hello Percy."

"Hi dad."

"You lied to your brother, why?!" He was clearly concerned.

"I..." Percy thought for a moment, then with a sigh he answered, "I just didn't want to let him down."

Poseidon nodded. "Not that I'm not glad to see you Percy, but what are you doing here? You should be at camp, with-"

"I broke things off with Annabeth" Just saying it made his chest ache. His father barely reacted just nodded to acknowledge that he heard him. "I just thought it would be easier for her to deal with if she already hated me. And...and I've said goodbye to mom, I didn't explain anything just said that I was going on another quest, she can find out later with everyone else. The only people who know what's going on are the gods, and hopefully they can keep their mouths shut until...afterwards, at least.

Percy hadn't noticed he'd been crying until his father leaned over to wipe his face. "I...I understand Percy. But you should know that you're wrong."

"What do you mean?" His curiosity spiked, he tried to sit up only to almost collapse straight away.

"It is not only the gods who know what's happening. The oracle is also aware."

"Rachel? Wait she hasn't-"

"I do believe she has kept it to herself, but you must understand you need to go back to camp, there is a prophecy waiting."

"I can't go back there. Not after what happ-"

"Percy! This is a chance to save you! You need to go!" Poseidon shouted. He had tried to stay calm for Percy's sake, but his son just wasn't listening.

"A...A cure?" Percy asked, "What about Apollo, why didn't he say anything before?"

"I don't know! Maybe he was forbidden until the prophecy was spoken! But, here Percy take these." He opened his hand to reveal four pearls. "Do you recognize them?"

"Yeah, they're those pearls that you gave me for my first quest to the underworld." He responded, "But why will I need them now?"

"One is to get you safely back to camp, you barely made it here, you won't be able to manage the trip back by yourself." He then paused waiting for Percy to ask about the others, but he didn't, so Poseidon just continued, "The other three you will need for your quest. Here, take them, Percy." He took them apprehensively.

Carefully, Percy stood up, and place the first pearl on the floor. "In case this doesn't work, tell Tyson goodbye." Without waiting for an answer, he crushed the pearl under his foot, and willed it to take him back to camp.