Chapter:27

I stood waiting to see if I got in the top ten. There were about thirty other rough stock girls there. Five were only in bulls. I'm hoping that I'm one of three in that. First place goes to state. I absolutely want to go to state. They were going to announce broncs after this.

"Third place. Maddison Aaron's. Second, Ashlyn Widmer. First place, Victoria George." I still have broncs. When broncs were called, I got first place for both. Then roping. I got second place in calf roping and first in breakaway. I was happy with what I won in.

When the ladies awards were over with I went to stand next to Tex. He spotted someone across the arena. "I'll be right back baby." He said, saying the last word at a near whisper. I acted like I was shooting a look downward and back up nodding without anyone realizing it.

One more week. State finals are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Least I'm going for broncs and breakaway. I watched as barrels went. Jaileen got first place. Cassie got second. After they came back, we went over to the trailers. I was feeling hungry so I fixed food. Few minutes later all of the guys minus Tex entered.

I fought them off and had them find places to sit. Cassie, Jaileen and I fixed our plates. Tex came in as soon as I sat up on the counter. "Food's on the stove." I told him. "Thank you." He said. I ate in silence. Two of the guys came in. "No more?" One asked. "Nope. Make your own." Tex said as he took a bite.

I finished my plate. Tex took it from me. "We'll meet outside in a minute." Tex said. Those that were inside nodded. He finished his plate and put the disposable plates and plastic silverware in the trash. I was about to get down when he helped me down. I went out with him tailing. I grabbed a seat pulling my phone out.

I checked everything on my social media before turning it off. Once everyone was outside, he sat down where we all could see him. "I am moving schools this coming school year, the head rodeo coach from that school came here today looking for me. I agreed to take the position since all of my students are graduating this year and there won't be anyone that I have taught there.

"If two of you want to continue that rodeo location, your welcome to. State is now a few days away. I got permission for us to travel Monday to Abilene for the comp. All Tuesday morning we will be going over strategies. Get ready for your competition boys. The girls already know who's going. I need one from each rough stock comp and roping. Have fun and do good." Tex said. The guys jumped to their feet to get ready.

The girls went to take a nap. "Do you need to go watch them?" I asked. "Yeah." He said. "I'm not staying here then." I said. I got Cash and got up onto his bare back. Tex grabbed one of his extras. We rode over to the arena to watch. A man came up next to Tex. Kolby sent me the name of the bulls he and Garret got.

I gave him and Garret warnings on what the bulls did. He sent a thumbs up to me. Hunter and Andrew sent me a text saying which horses they got along with Wesley's and Ryder's. I gave them tips for those horses. "What are you doing?" Tex asked me. "Kolby and Garret got the two bulls I got. Then Wesley and Hunter got my first round horses. Ryder and Andrew got my second round horses." I said.

"Giving them tips?" He asked. "Yeah. I want one of them to win." I said. The guy mumbled something. Tex answered. "Would you mind going to get us something to snack on?" He asked pulling his wallet out. "You sure?" I asked. He gave me a 'we'll take more later look'. I took the money from him leading Cash away.

I went to one of the vendors and got Tex something along with myself. I know he was trying to talk business. On my way back, I stopped by the chutes. Kolby spotted me first. "Good luck he bucks high. Watch it when he switches." I told him. "Thanks. I'll keep that in mind." He said. When I got back, I gave Tex his food.

They were still talking. I ate my food as bulls got started. When it was halfway through, the guy left. "Change?" Tex asked. I set my plate on Cash's haunches and dug the cash out of my back pocket. I handed it to him. "Coins too." He said. I dug them out of my front pocket.

I put them in his hand. "Thank you. We'll have enough for supper later." He said. I grabbed my plate off the back of my horse. I finished it by the time Garret and Kolby were riding. "Want me to take that to the trash?" I asked. "I've got it." He said offering to take my plate. "Keep an eye on them." He said.