-22-

One-Shot - request from  @AlyciaFirehousePuppy

"How about one where the reader is Steve's sister who falls in love with Bucky before he goes off to war? Then Bucky and Steve go off to war and they don't come back. It could be super sad but then, like in Winter Soldier, Bucky comes to visit the reader and the reader is old now."

-:-:-:-

1942

"C'mon, y/n!" Bucky called. "We're gonna be late!"

Tonight was the last night before Bucky was to be going overseas with the U.S. Army, so naturally, y/n, her brother, Steve, and Bucky went to the World's Fair. Bucky had always been fascinated with new types of technology and y/n found it quite adorable. In fact, she thought that he was adorable in general.

The fact was, y/n had a huge crush on her brother's best friend. Since high school even, but she never got the guts to tell him. Her friends kept on telling that she should tell him, but y/n could never find the right time. But now, she had to. Bucky was going to be shipped off to England tomorrow and tonight was probably the last time she'd see him in a long time.

Y/n caught up with Bucky and Steve as they made they're way to the entrance of the World's Fair. The trio walked over to where Howard Stark was to show his newest invention. As they watched, y/n was deciding on whether or not she should tell Bucky how she felt.

The three friends walked away from the stage area and Steve had wandered off somewhere, so it was just y/n and Bucky.

"Hey Buck," y/n began. "can I, uh, talk to you?"

Bucky looked at her with his sapphire blue eyes. "Yeah, what's up?"

"The thing is, I..." y/n took a deep breath. "I like you. A lot. Since high school actually..."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Bucky asked as his expression softened.

"I was afraid that it would ruin our friendship. Or worse, your friendship with Steve." y/n explained.

Bucky moved closer to her and leaned in so their noses were almost touching. "It's not gonna ruin anything, doll."

And with that, Bucky closed the gap between them and kissed y/n's lips. It felt like there was no one else in the world around them. They were in their own world together. And that was all that mattered.

A few months later...

It had been a couple months after Bucky went off overseas and when Steve became the face of World War II, Captain America. With her brother and boyfriend gone, y/n was pretty lonely. She picked up a job at a diner in Brooklyn that was only about a block away from the apartment building was.

One day, y/n was folding some laundry and she heard a knock at her door. She walked over and opened up the front door. It was a man in a military uniform with a satchel. The man handed her a letter. Y/n immediately assumed the worst.

"Thank you." she said before shutting the door.

Y/n hesitantly opened the envelope and took out the letter. It read:

Miss y/n Rogers,

We regret to inform you that Sergeant James Barnes is missing in action and pronounced dead. We are sorry for your loss.

-The United States Army

"No..." y/n said, denying what she had just read. "No, please no!"

She sunk down on her knees and began to weep. Y/n cried until she couldn't cry anymore. She had just lost the love of her life.

A few weeks later, y/n received the news that Steve had also died. He died saving the country. Y/n was heartbroken. The only two people she had left were gone.

Present day

Bucky walked into the Trinity Church cemetery. He looked around the different graves until he found what he was looking for.

Y/n m/n Rogers

1919 - 2014

Beloved daughter and sister

Tears rolled down Bucky's cheeks as he read the small gravestone. When he regained most of his memories, the ones that stood out the most were the ones of y/n. He loved her so much, and he only got to tell her the day before he left.

"I figured you'd be here."

Bucky turned around and saw Steve standing a few feet behind him. He nodded and Steve walked over to him. Bucky broke when he looked at the gravestone again. Steve hugged his best friend as he cried.

"I just miss her so much..." Bucky said.

Steve continued to hug him as tears fell from his sky blue eyes. "Me too, Buck. Me too."

-:-:-:-

Oof this is really sad. I hope y'all enjoyed this one-shot! -Nicole <3