1990

He pulls the blade at a wrong angle and cuts himself. He can never do one thing right at one go anyway.

It's a habit.

A streak of blood races down his chin as Jinyoung winces in pain. He was shaving or more like trying to do it without fucking up every two seconds. His face full of acne scars were not helping him to go through with the shaving ritual of the first sprout of facial hair.

Jinyoung presses a towel to his chin and sighs at his reflection in the mirror. Then he hears the sound of a vehicle pulling up in the neighborhood.

And with that, the floodgate of memories lost with time opens up and Jinyoung rushes to his window.

 There he was. Im Jaebum. Making his promised return after a whole year along with his family.

Jinyoung forgets about the cut on his chin just like he had sort of forgotten Jaebum from last summer. But his arrival refreshes all those brief glances and conversations that they have had. Jinyoung dresses himself neatly, combing and drying his hair.

Past evening, Jinyoung takes a big container of kimchi made by his mother for grandma Jiyeon as she was too old to do the hard work that goes behind making it. There was a caretaker who didn't get paid extra for making kimchi atleast.

Jinyoung knocks and a man opens the door. It was Jaebum's father for sure and grandma Jiyeon's son who as usual showed up this summer as well. Jinyoung receives a warm welcome and his eyes shifts to find Jaebum helping his mother to fix the dinner table. Jaebum smiles at him but Jinyoung doesn't. And immediately he regrets not returning the smile because Jaebum's face turns gloomy at that.

But Jinyoung can't help it. Truth be told, he feels uneasy. Even looking at Jaebum felt unnatural and he can't explain why. He was just another boy like him not some three headed dragon with green epidermis spewing fire.

Jaebum still politely invites him to join his family for dinner. Jinyoung makes a quick decision in his head on whether or not it will be wise to refuse eating with them. It might look impolite again.

He says yes and Jaebum's mother fetches another plate for him.

Jinyoung ends up sitting right besides Jaebum and just when he was thinking that Jaebum won't point out the cut on his chin, he does it anyway.

"What happened ?"

A thumb rises up to stroke lightly over the clumsy cut on Jinyoung'sf face and that moment Jinyoung feels like he shouldn't have joined them for the dinner. As if he was electrocuted, Jinyoung shoots up and almost knocks the chair back.

"I am sorry I have to leave."

Jinyoung quickly apologizes and leaves four pair of gawking mouths behind him.

While making an exit, he hears grandma Jiyeon giving some explanations on his behalf.

"He is a bit different than boys of his age but he is a nice child. Don't mind him. He'll be fine. Maybe he is anxious because he has to sit with new people and eat."

Wrong.

Jinyoung was anxious because he had to sit beside Jaebum and eat.

That's something he couldn't do and he didn't even know why.

It was severely stupid.