Trouble In Paradise

I wasn't feeling so great earlier, so I had a hard time getting myself to write, but then I felt better and was FINALLY able to get something done! So, here is this brand new chapter of Runaway and I hope you enjoy it:) xoxoxo, Brooke

PS: I'll start writing the next chapter of I Won't Give Up tonight :)

_____________________________________________________________________________

“You are the most pathetic, worthless, useless piece of trash I have EVER seen in my life!”

“St-stop!” A bloodied, bruised James crouched in the corner, crying out as Samuel yanked him off the ground and shoved him against the wall. He had never seen so much evil, so much hatred in anyone’s eyes before, and James didn’t understand any of it. How could his own father feel this way about him? What had he done to deserve this?

“What are you gonna do about it? Huh? Right, you can’t do anything because I have the power here!” Samuel grabbed James’ shirt and dragged him from the room, pulling him over to the stairs. James cried out again as his arm was twisted behind his back, biting back tears. Was he in Hell? Because it sure felt like it.

“Now, GO!” And that was all James remembered before he was pushed down the stairs, landing with a THUD at the bottom of the stairs, unconscious.

When he finally awoke, he was alone in the dark house, but could only feel a fiery pain in his right knee. He screamed out in pain, trying to keep it as still as possible. He knew he was injured, but there was no way in hell that he would be able to get out of here, not yet.

So he slowly stood up, keeping the weight off his knee, as he struggled into the kitchen. Of course, his douchebag of a father hadn’t bothered to keep ice packs in the house. All James could get was a knee brace sitting on the counter. He bit his lip as he wrapped it around his injured knee before lowering himself to the floor.

Freedom.

He just wanted freedom.

PRESENT DAY

James jolted up in bed with a gasp, eyes frantically darting around the dark bedroom. Once he realized he was in the safety of apartment 4A, he got up and flipped the light switch on, letting light fill the small room. It was only 3:00 am, but he didn’t want to sleep anymore. He wasn’t tired and the nightmares kept him awake anyway, so he just needed to get out of the apartment for a while.

He slipped a pair of jeans and a grey sweatshirt on, before flipping the lights back off and hurrying out the door. Normally, he would prefer to be alone, but tonight, he just didn’t know. He felt like he needed a friend, even if it was a distant friend.

To: Carlos

From: James

Meet me on the rooftop in ten minutes. It’s sort of important.

_____________________________________________________________________________

 Ding!

The elevator doors opened and Carlos stepped onto the rooftop, searching for James. He definitely hadn’t expected a text message from James, especially not after what happened the other day. Ever since then, James had avoided him like the plague, even at work. Now he was suddenly wanting to talk to Carlos? What was up with that?

“James!” He called out, walking around the rooftop. Then he finally saw his old friend  standing against the wall with a cigarette between his fingers, as he always did. God, Carlos hated that James had picked up such a habit, but what could he do? It wasn’t like he  had any actual authority over James.