Chapter 25

Yay! Update!

It's my Dad's birthday today, I can't wish him a happy birthday yet because it's 2am here and he's asleep.

If you enjoy the chapter, please leave a vote :)

Thank you and enjoy lovelies ❤️
~~~~
No one really knows how far the safe haven is, we're really just hoping there's the words 'safe haven' in neon lights on some kind of sign, well I'm hoping for that at least.

My legs were beginning to ache again, no matter how many times I punched them or stretched them. I wasn't even sure what energy I was running off of seeing as how I hadn't eaten anything in god knows how long.

Yet when I look around every single girl seemed tired but full of ambition, something WICKED could never take away considering it ran through their own veins as well.

Every single one of us whether we were male of female, we've been through so much, fed so many lies and here we were, nearing the end. The only thing we feared now was what the end held, what were WICKED going to do to us? More tests? Lies? Death?

I kept thinking about my own group as well, were they already at the safe haven? were they all ok? my mind couldn't seem to shoo away the thought of them all being dead either.

"Rose" someone whispers as they have a hand in front of my face, "hello, anyone in there?"

I snap out of my daze and stare at Joy who seemed utterly confused by my behaviour.

I swat away her hand with a smile, "yeah I'm in here"

"Then wanna explain why you've been walking like a zombie for the past three hours?"

Three hours? It's been that long already?

I simply shrug my shoulders, "I don't have a shuck explanation"

She bites her bottom lip, "I have no clue what shuck means"

I chuckle, "neither do I, when you meet Minho you can ask him"

"He a friend?"

"I'd say he's more like an annoying older brother, he's a slinthead but he's family"

"Slinthead.... another interesting word"

I shake my head and laugh again, letting silence and exhaustion set in.

"No one seen Thomas yet?" I ask Harriet, she shakes her head in response.

Thomas? Can you hear me? I get no response.

I keep trying, every half an hour or so yet the result is still the same.

"Why don't you tell us more about your life in the Glade? Keep your mind off things" Sonya suggests.

She had a point, I look down at my feet and kick rocks. I shove my hands in my pockets,

"I pretty much told you everything"

"You told us the bare minimum, we want details. How'd your job switch? What was your lover boy like?" Harriet nudges me with her elbow.

I had time to kill right?

"Going from medjack to a shuck runner? That was luck, considering I had the guts to run into the maze as they doors closed to save my friend"

"Did you fight off any Grievers?" Sonya asks.

I smile, the memories felt so old yet weren't even more than a few months old,

"I wish I did, thing is it jumped off the shuck cliff by itself"

"So you became a runner because you survived a night in the maze?

I nod my head, "I was scared"

"I'm sure you were" someone else replies which earns a laugh from a few other girls.

"We can all admit we were scared" Harriet agrees.

"Was it pretty much the same for you all then?"

Sonya nods, "from what you and Thomas said it seems to be the same except... your circumstances don't even seem to make sense"

I stifle a laugh, tell me about it

"That boy, Aris. He was originally with you guys too? So was he always quiet?"

Harriet smiles, "he seemed nice, somewhat quiet and close to Rachel" as soon as the name Rachel is mentioned her smile drops,

"He seemed fine honestly, just a little odd"

Quiet seemed similar to my description of him as well, to say he was creepy is overdoing it. In all honesty I can't pick what what makes me uneasy about him, but there's something there.

~~~~~
"My legs are going to fall off" Joy complains quietly as she trudges along, bending over like she was a hunchback.

I straighten her back, "if you do that it'll be worse" I reply, trying to pull off my best smile.

She smiles back gingerly, "so what was the worst injury you treated as a Medjack in your Glade?"

I guess she was trying to get her mind off f things as well, "hmm, I guess treating slicer wounds were the worst. They were always so deep"

"Slicer?..."

"They were in charge of you know, killing the meat we ate"

Her face drops, "oh"

I didn't have any way of making what I had said better so I remained quiet. My mind thinking of Newt and how much I miss him, I really wanted to hug him and apologise for getting myself into trouble again.

The group comes to a halt, Joy and myself all the way at the back and unable to see what the sudden commotion is about.

The group bursts into whispers, I look to Joy who looks back with a puzzled expression on her face,

"What's going on?" She whispers.

I shrug my shoulders, "I don't know"

I push through numerous girls, muttering 'excuse me' the whole way. I finally push through, my eyes settle on a familiar group of people who were staring back.

I recognise Newt immediately, cupping my hands over my mouth and stumbling forward two steps.

Newt had my bow and arrows in his left hand which he dropped almost immediately, running towards me. Tears brim my eyes as he closes the distance, grabbing my face roughly with both of his hands.

He presses his lips to mine in a kiss that felt so needy, he kisses me as though he would lose me again. Newt pulls away and envelopes me in his arms, my head against his chest as I cry.

I could hear him crying as well, he holds me tight as if I would disappear again.

"I thought I had bloody lost you" he says, his voice sounding extremely vulnerable as it cracks slightly.

"It's ok Newt, I'm right here" I reply.