Chapter 16

This chapter explains @AllyJean9 's character a little better and in more depth,

Oh and a little something to listen to while readin' ^

Enjoy lovelies ❤️
~~~~~~

It wasn't hard to realise why nightfall was more dangerous than when it was day.

Jorge had directed us into a building where we reamined alert the whole time, not once letting ourselves rest. Two people were on watch at one time and it was to be that way for the whole night.

I feel someone shake me awake, it was Michael.

"It's your turn, Alyssa is already awake" he says.

I nod my head and bolt upright, looking over to see her sitting on a broken brick wall. I pick up my bow and my gun, sauntering over as I rub my eyes.

"Hey" I say, sitting down.

"Hey" she replies quietly, her right hand gripping her left elbow.

"How you holding up?"

She shrugs her shoulders, "it hasn't been easy, I thought I could handle it like you did in the Glade. I was wrong"

I appreciated how brave she was trying to be, "You got the unlucky side of things straight away, but you're brave" I began, placing a hand on her shoulder, "it's shucking hard to be brave out here"

It wasn't hard to tell how shy Alyssa was, even with someone else's blood on her cheek and her clothes dirty she was a pretty girl and her eyes evident to how much she had seen in life.

"So you worked for WICKED?" I blurt out after several minutes of silence.

She nods her head, she hesitates to answer, "...I was actually your replacement in headquarters, I was amazed by your courage and love for Newt"

"My replacement? Headquarters?"

Her eyes widen, "I forgot they wiped your memory before sending you back into the trials"

I furrow my eyebrows, "What?"

She lets out a sigh, "they took you out of the maze trials to re-administer the the swipe, you can't remember past walking into the maze when the doors closed can you"

I blink a few times, it was familiar. When I woke up and the gladers found me I couldn't remember what had happened after the maze doors closed behind me.

"Then how do I remember Michael, he wasn't in the Maze"

"I don't know, I assume it's one memory they can't swipe"

"But that doesn't make sense"

"Nothing WICKED does makes sense" AJ finally deadpans.

"Then what about you, what's your story?"

AJ looks down at her feet, her heels hitting the brick wall as she dangles then back and forth,

"I was taken around the same age as you, my mum was the only person I had. I remember she placed paper, food and crayons on the dining table and locked herself in the bathroom when she began going insane" she pauses to wipe away the tears in her eyes,

"WICKED found me three days later and took me in, drawing was something I would do to remember my Mother"

"I'm sorry" I reply, I didn't know what else I could say. At least she remembers her family, that she even had a hobby.

"Don't be, there's not a lot you can do anymore"

Instead of dwelling I try to change the subject, "What did you enjoy doing before this then?"

She shrugs her shoulders, "before WICKED I had won a talent show..I think that's what it was called anyway, I played the guitar"

She looked as though she was about to smile from the memory yet the happiness disappeared,

"I only continued to read and sing" she finishes, looking out at the crumbling buildings.

"It sounds like you had a bright future ahead of you" I tell her as a way of trying to comfort her.

She shrugs once again, this time no reply.

Another half an hour of silence follows, I keep my eye out for cranks as does AJ,

"You need to be careful" She blurts out, turning to face me this time,

"What? Why?"

She looks back at the sleeping bodies, "one boy knows everything and won't hesitate to kill everyone for this experiment, another boy isn't immune to the Flare"

I furrow my eyebrows, "who are you talking about?"

"I can't tell you" she shakes her head, "it's too dangerous"

"Then how am I supposed to-"

"You can't tell anyone, you'll figure it out" she says, someone taps me on the shoulder.

I turn around, it was Aris and Minho standing behind him,

"Our turn" Aris says, I stand up.

"Good luck" I say to Aris, AJ doesn't say anything or even look at Aris as she walks past.

I lay down next to Newt and face him, his blonde hair covering half of his face. I intertwine my fingers with his, using my own arm as a pillow.

I sigh before moving closer until my head was against his chest, a sense of safety washes over me as I feel his chest rose and fall with every breath.

What did she mean one boy isn't immune? Doesn't that mean what that rat man had told everyone was a lie, we weren't infected?

Newt stirs, "Hi Rose" he groans, pulling me closer.

I couldn't help but giggle, "Hi Newt"

I close my heavy eyes, taking in the warmth that radiates off Newt.

"Sleep well" he whispers.

"You too"