Epilogue: A Beautiful Nightmare

Neilson's POV:

My eyes blast open, and the cold sweat drips down my skin. A knock on the door captured my attention, and I sat up. There were bright lights from the door to the deck beneath me.

"Mr.Yi?"

I clear my throat, and my hands involuntarily slides down the silky red tie. "Come in."

The door opened, showing an older woman with a broad smile on her face. "Mr.Yi, I'm about to leave," she said.

I nodded, not knowing what else to say.

"Happy Holidays, Mr.Yi," she said.

I took a few blinks, "Holidays?"

She giggled, "The project must really have gotten to you, Mr.Yi. It's Christmas, shouldn't you be at home with your wife?" she spoke teasingly.

My head crooked slightly, "My wife?"

She shook her head, "Wait till I tell Mrs.Yi you forgot about her," she sings, "Go home, Mr.Yi." With one last smile, she closes the door.

After some moments, I stood up, grabbed my coat, keys, and suitcase. My eyes cast towards a lunch box, and I held it feeling a heavy sensation in my heart. Inhaling a deep breath, I step out of the overly cheery decoration room.

"Happy Holiday, Mr.Yi."

I nod, "You too."

"Going home to the Mrs?" A man winks.

I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Merry Christmas, Mr.Yi."

One after another, they greeted me with their cheeriness, and I returned it. Reaching a familiar car, I stop my tracks. I got inside and after a shuffle, my sight cast on the spinning photo hung on the rearview mirror.

The outside of the building was familiar, yet unfamiliar. When I stop at a red light, the snow began flowing downward as everyone dressed in warmth peacefully skipped around, getting ready for the holiday.

I sat there, and stared at the red light. Swallowing firmly, I continued driving when it blinked green until I reached my destination. The drive had never felt so long.

Endless.

I closed my eyes and bit my lower lips. The house in front of me looks like it fell straight out of a storybook.

Blinking lights of green, blue, and yellow greeted me. They string around all corners of the home until there weren't any room left to hold on. The grass in the front was no longer green, but a wonderful shade of white.

I got out of the car, leaving the suitcase behind.

My hands clenches - it's cold.

The Santa Claus dancing on top of the white roof caught my attention.

The world behind me faded in color.

Footprint made its appearance. I don't want to look back. I reached the red door with the lit pinecone wreath.

There's a sound, a tune, a melody - music.

Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell rock.

My red hands found shelter inside the black jacket. The keys drops a heavy whisper and unlocks the gold knob.

Jingle bells swing, and jingle bells ring.

I twisted the knob open, amplifying the melody.

Snowing and blowing up bushels of fun.