LXXXIV. Lost in Paradise

Neilson's POV:

He laughs, "Quoted by Alice Lee."

I shrug, "Who else."

Randy grip the folder, "Take care of her, Yi. She needs you more than you think."

I'm the one who needs her.

"I will," I said before leaving the restaurant.

I hate to admit it, but the kid is growing on me.

Shit.

Outside, the rain didn't light up; it only seemed heavier. A man stood there underneath a black umbrella with a cleaned black suit and sunglasses. He steps towards me and pulls out a folder. "Mr.Kuznetsov told me to give this to you as payment," he said

I stared at the folder then grabbed it, feeling the papers inside, ones that determined my future.

"Mr.Kuznetsov also would like to thank you for a job well done, and if you are willing, he would like to cooperate in the future," the man said.

I laugh at his message, "Tell him to shove his tiny dick into his loose asshole and never contact me again."

The man chuckled lightly at my comment then bowed quickly, exiting towards the car. I stood there, staring at the envelope in my hands, listening to the vehicle scurried away.

I gripped onto the folder and grabbed my phone, listening to the ringing on the other side. "This is Neilson Esposito. Tell Anthony; I would like to speak with him."

Taking a few steps down the hard rocks, my eyes traced from the folder towards the white church. Pacing towards the door, I pushed it open. Moving into the passage, the quiet air tinctured with the scent of incense, candles, and musty prayer books. The brightly lit enactment with its floor of encaustic tiles and its white-painted walls ran the church's whole.

He sat there, eyes gazing at the statue in front of him. A man was standing behind him, and with a single finger wave, he left the room. I fixed my coat, straightening out the nonexistent wrinkles as I sat on the wooden bench next to him.

"What's the special occasion, Esposito?"

I slide the folder across the bench, catching his attention. Anthony held it in his crusty hands and opened the content. He slips half of the white paper out, then chuckles, "What is the meaning of this?" He asks, laying the folder on his lap.

"A goodbye gift."

Anthony released a deep breath, leaning back as he rested his elbow against the frame. "Many of our men go to church for a belief that maybe, God will be merciful, even in the slightest." Then he glances at me, fingers grazing against the folder. "Yet we all know that once a soul tainted, it can never be cleansed. More so, it's challenging for men like us who had been tainted since birth."

He pats his pantsuit, wrinkling it, then exhaled as his head leaned back, "We never had a choice. You may believe you're out, but Neilson, you are never out, merely turning your back at us."

"No need for the lecture Anthony. I already got one from Bianchi earlier."

He chuckles, "Who does it better?"

I released a deep breath, "You."

"You're only saying that because I'm the boss."

"No, I liked your speech earlier. Plus, you didn't indirectly threaten to put a bullet in my head."

"You know that means he cares."

"Bianchi cares too much."

"Of course, we lost Marvin not too long ago, and now we're losing you too," he laughed bitterly. "It's like God is cutting off my left and right-handed man at the same time."