LXXVI. Perfect Covers

Alice's POV:

This man does not beat around the bush.

I ran my fingers through my tangled hair, feeling it flow on my fingers. I drop my hand, feeling the locks of hair slipping off my fingers and onto the carpet. "Yes."

He sighs, "Do you also happen to know a guy named Randy Ricci?"

I bit my lower lips, "Yes, he is a friend of mine."

A chair creaks, "Alice, do you understand the situation you are in?"

"Yes, Mr.Davenson. I know everything."

There was a long silence on his side, "Do you also know that Neilson Esposito was there when Randy Ricci got shot?"

I placed a hand on my chest, attempting to shallow the tightness. "Yes, he was the one who called the ambulance."

"With your brain Alice, I'm pretty sure you also know that shooting wasn't an accident as the media declared."

I closed my eyes, feeling the tears dripping down, "I know."

Most likely, the gun was aimed at Neilson, not Randy.

"Alice listens to me; this relationship of yours is a problem. Since Randy is a friend of yours and Neilson is your lover, it means-"

"It means that both the Italian and Russian mafia is keeping an eye on me, which also means that they are doing some background digging right now. Eventually, they will figure out I am a part of the M.I.N.D program."

He sighs, "I wish it were simply like that. Alice, it's been over a year since you established M.I.N.D. Neglecting me, there are many important, powerful funders for this program who does not want any connection with the underground business. If they found out that one of the members has a link to the mafia, do you know what they will do?"

I stay quiet.

"They will withdraw their funds, which means a handful of gifted children will lose their future. Not only that, you are putting their lives in danger. Do you understand what it means to be in a relationship with an Esposito? They have many enemies, and if they know you are a part of M.I.N.D, they will use that as leverage."

I lick my lips, massaging my temple in a futile attempt to lower a headache. "What are you trying to say?"

"You're a smart girl Alice Lee. You understand what I'm saying. A year ago, this program may be all fun and games, set up on a whim, but now it's much more than that. I've allowed you to behave as you wish this past year. Now, it is time to step up as the founder. Do not give me the excuse of young age and inexperience because I am the type of man who doesn't take excuses very well."

The line ends.

My weight falls on the couch, with an arm lying over my eyes. Clutching firmly on the phone, I screamed. I didn't know what else to do except scream out my anger. After a single scream, the veins inside my head were pumping, feeling as if it would burst any second. I placed the phone on the coffee table and stumbled towards the kitchen. Before I reached my destination, my foot twisted, and I fell to the floor. Taking a few sniffs, the tears drip on my hands.

Quickly, I wiped off the tears, "Don't be weak, Alice. Don't be weak. Everything will be okay."

I stood up, feeling the throbbing pain in my ankle matching my headache. Opening the cabinet, I grabbed a bottle of Tylenol. Unscrewing the cap, I shooked out two pills and laid them on the counter. I poured myself a cup of water and dumped the white pills into the mouth, swallowing it whole.

Releasing a deep breath, I closed the bottle, then walked towards the kitchen table. Laying my head on the fresh wood, I shut my eyes. My mouth opens, repeating: "Everything will be okay. Everything will be okay."