The Boys are Back in Town: Fifteen

I spent an hour in the living room after dinner with Alek, trying to study but my mind was elsewhere. I went upstairs, took a quick shower and changed into my pajamas before I made a decision. I pulled a jacket on over my night shirt and ran into my parents downstairs, who were just coming in from the faculty dinner.

"Hey, honey," Mom said. "Have you eaten?"

"Yeah," I said, greeting them both with a kiss on the cheek.

"Where are you going?" Dad asked, nodding at my jacket.

"Oh, um, I'm sneaking out," I said. "Going to Alek's. It can't wait, I'm sorry."

"On your bike? I'd rather you take the car," Mom said. "It's really late."

I shook my keys and told them I'd text when I got to the Dashwood's. It was faster there by car, and less than two hours after Alek dropped me home I was standing in front of Elba the Sycamore tree.

His window curtains were pushed back, the lights still on. I was pleasantly surprised that I was still capable of climbing the tree and after a minute I found myself across Alek's window. He was working in front of his computer, so I threw a pebble at the closed window to get his attention.

His eyes widened when he saw me sitting astride Elba. Are you crazy? he mouthed. I motioned for him to come over and resisted the urge to roll my eyes. We'd climbed this tree a thousand times since we were kids.

"What are you doing?" he asked, when he'd gotten up to where I was. He wasn't even winded.

"I tried to study, but I was distracted and I don't think I can sleep without telling you..." I paused. "Without telling you that I want to have more dinners with you."

"Okay," he said, a bit confused.

"Just you. And me. It doesn't have to be at the pizzeria. We could have lunches too." I was all over the place. I didn't even think to prepare what I wanted to tell him, just that I wanted to tell him something.

It was so hard to be straightforward. I'd never doubt another contemporary novel on the difficulty of telling someone else your feelings ever again.

"You want to eat with me," he said slowly.

"And I want to tell people that I eat with you," I added, after a moment of hesitation.

Alek took a breath. "Okay," he said, sounding less confused now.

"I'm sorry, " I said quietly, feeling a bit defeated. "I'm all over the place, I know."

"Could we have movie nights together, too?" he asked softly.

My pulse quickened. "Yes. And reading sprints, for sure."

"Go to other towns and explore."

"Study together, too."

"I could take you rowing."

"Maybe I can get you to try yoga with me."

He quirked a smile at that. "I get to take more pictures of you."

"And me of you," I returned. "I don't deny to anyone that we're together."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm straddling Elba in my pajamas in the middle of the night."

He scooted closer, until our foreheads were touching. He kissed the side of my mouth, and I returned it. I could feel his breath on my lips, but he didn't move.

I swallowed. "What are we doing?"

He exhaled a laugh. "Trying not to overwhelm each other?"

I placed my hand on the back of his neck. "Alek," I whispered.

"Yes?"

"Overwhelm me."