The Boys are Back in Town: Thirty

"What?"

Jason shrugged casually, as if what he'd said a second ago meant nothing. "What?"

"Don't pretend," I said. "What are you trying to say, Jason?"

"Relax," he said. "I'm not being condescending." He amended, after seeing the look on my face. "I just meant that you guys are so perfect together it's actually ridiculous."

I closed my eyes and rubbed at the spot between my brows. "Perfect? Me and Alek? After everything you just told me?"

"All couples fight, sure. But look at the facts," he said. "Childhood friends, grew up together, hooked up—"

"Again, what?" My voice had come out higher than expected, but what he just said set my heart racing.

"Oh, come on," he groaned. "Clair, we're not super close yet and we'll get there someday, trust me, but Alek has never been with anyone else in all the time I've known him and he's not a virgin."

"How—" I couldn't say it.

"He didn't tell me," Jason assured me. "I figured it out... and you're pretty much confirming it for me right now."

My cheeks were flushed. I could feel it. I couldn't even look at him. "No one else—"

"—knows, yeah I figured," he finished for me. "I won't tell if that's what you're worried about."

A beat. He tapped slowly on the table next to my hand, and when I looked up his smile was gone. "I'm guessing this is why you guys broke up?"

"For someone who's practically a stranger to me, you're getting way too deep into all our personal stuff," I said weakly.

"Sorry."

"No you're not," I said. "You hate us, that's what you said, right?"

"I don't hate you guys," Jason said, sighing. "That's not what I meant. You know that Alek is one of my closest friends. Practically my best mate."

I sipped my coffee silently. All the ice had melted. "We were too young."

"You still are," he said. "It overwhelmed you, that's fine. But the way I see it, you guys will always end up together. And that's what gets to me. Do you know how many people dream of having what you and Alek have?"

I huffed out a laugh. "Now I feel like I'm getting too deep into your personal stuff. Who was she, then?"

That same, self-mocking smile was back. His dark green eyes were unnaturally bright against the light of the window. "Who?"

It was my turn to shrug. "The girl. There's always one. You said earlier that you know what it's like to go 'batshit crazy' over a girl, so who is she? Someone you left back in London?"

"I thought we were here to talk about Alek, not me."

"You said we were going to be close friends," I smiled. "Don't I get a chance to get to know you, too?"

Jason was quiet, contemplating. After a moment, he said, "She's not from London."

"Oh? Where is she, then?"

The corner of his mouth twitched. "She's here, actually."

"Here?" I asked, incredulous. "In my town? Right now?"

"She moved here a few years ago."

That sounded familiar, but there were a lot of people who moved here from other towns.

"Do I know her?" I asked, not really sure if I wanted to know but at the same time almost bursting with curiosity. "How did you even meet her if you've been in London?"

"I used to live in St. Cyp when I was a kid, remember? I did my first two years of middle school here and finished the rest in London, but I used to come home for the summer a lot, too."

"What happened, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Same story," he exhaled. "She was my best friend for years. Except I asked her out a couple of times, and she always said no. We were friends and she didn't want to ruin that."

"That sucks," I said quietly. "Sorry."

Jason cleared his throat. "Yeah, anyway I think you might know her. Last I heard, she was in love with Alek."