The Boys are Back in Town: Six

Alek leveled me with a look I hadn't seen in two years, knowing it was a face I couldn't resist.

"Dammit, Alek," I groaned. "Why didn't anyone ever ask me if it was true?"

It explained a lot of things, actually, like why girls sometimes looked at me as if they were sizing me up, or why boys would invite me to their parties and downplay it a moment later as if suddenly remembering that I was Alek Dashwood's girlfriend.

A moment later I answered my own question: no one ever asked me if it was true because what kind of a girl would turn down Alek Dashwood? It also explained why Julia often looked smug or sent me wink faces on chat whenever I mentioned Alek.

My phone buzzed in my pocket before I could say anything else. I glared at him again before I took the call, making it clear that we weren't done talking about this. "Hello?"

Mom. "Hey honey, are you having dinner here or there?"

My irritation dissipated slightly, hearing her ask something I haven't heard in so long. "There," I said.

"Okay, I'll get take out. Chinese?"

"Sounds good. I'll be back soon."

"Say hello for me," she said. I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Mom says hello," I said.

"Hello Hanna!" they shouted before I ended the call.

"Gotta get home, guys," I said, swallowing the last of my too-sweet coffee.

"I'll walk you," Alek said.

Andre sighed. "Guess we should start unpacking."

"Why didn't you say anything? I could've helped," I said.

Adrian smiled. "We're fine, Cupcake. Besides, I think we all wanted to get back to our old routine."

I smiled back, rounding the kitchen island to say goodnight. "See you tomorrow?"

"We'll be here," Adrian said, returning my hug. He ruffled my hair playfully as he let go.

"You definitely have to come for dinner tomorrow," Andre said. "Mom and Dad missed you too."

Alek held out his hand and smiled like a perfect gentleman. I narrowed my eyes at him as he helped me off the stool. He squeezed my fingers gently before letting go.

"Come up to my room for a sec," he said. "I want to give you something."

***

With the exception of luggage strewn about, Alek's room remained unchanged. Bookshelves filled to bursting, a large study table we'd chosen together at Crate & Barrel just before he entered high school and a bed pushed to the other side of the room. "Your room looks pretty clean already."

"Yeah, my mom had someone come in every three weeks or so to clean up," he explained, rummaging for something in his suitcase. A moment later, something soft landed on my head. I pulled it away. It was a large navy blue sweater with Grierstone 1780 emblazoned on the back.

"It's chilly out," he said, nodding towards my pink cotton shirt.

"Is this yours?"

He smiled. "Yours, now."

I turned around swiftly, feeling my cheeks redden with understanding. I pulled his sweater on and resisted the urge to sniff myself. The fabric felt warm and lush next to my skin.

When I turned back around, his smile softened. "All set?"

I nodded, my throat suddenly dry.

Alek retrieved my bike from the garage, and I walked on the other side instead of beside him. After a few minutes of awkward silence, he asked, "Are you upset because of what I did?"

I sighed. "I'm not upset... just confused, I guess."

"What is there to be confused about?"

"I mean, why would you do that?"

He exhaled a short breath. "Don't do that," he said quietly. "You know why."

I looked down at my hand, gripping the other bike handle. "Is it wrong that I want to hear you say it?"

"No," he said. "I know it was selfish, what I did. And I still remember what you said, two years ago."

I didn't answer, and we walked the rest of the way home in silence. There was still no light inside the house when we arrived. Alek took my bike inside and parked it behind the fence.

"Are you coming in?" I asked.

He shook his head, "No. I have to get back and pick my parents up from Walmart."

"Alright," I said. "Thank you for walking me home."

"You're welcome," he said, the corner of his mouth turning up. I hesitated too long, but he wrapped me in a hug anyway.

"I know what you said," he murmured. "But I know what I feel."

I closed my eyes for a second, my fingers momentarily digging into his back. "Okay, Alek."

He pulled away and ran his fingers through my hair, an imitation of what I did earlier. His thumb brushed over my temple. "Goodnight."

"'Night," I said, the word turned into a whisper as he walked away.