Chapter 5- I Get Bailed Out By The Hot Older Brother

Start from the beginning

"Hey." Sodapop had noticed my disappointed demeanor and put his hand on my shoulder comfortingly, which made my skin tingle a little bit. "Don't worry about Darry, it's just been a rough month, that's all." He smiled reassuringly and I just nodded as we walked, knowing surely if I were to open my mouth I would just embarrass myself.

We made it to the truck, a rusty red Ford that was badly in need of a paint job. I sat in the small backseat with Dallas, Sodapop taking shotgun. The car rumbled to life, and we drove a careful speed down the road.

"Sorry the trouble, Darry." Dallas looked in the rearview mirror to make eye contact with Darry, and I got my first good look at him in that moment. He looked old, worried, and stressed, but had the body of an olympic athlete. He was muscular and tall, and you could tell just by looking at him that he was an athlete of some sorts. He could have possibly been handsome in another world, but the worry clouded up his face in a depressing aura. His eyes were sad, not the kind you'd expect from someone of his age. He was a boy forced to grow up too fast. "I promise to get you the money back."

Darry just laughed grimly and looked into the mirror himself. He didn't acknowledge my existence, and to be fair, I didn't blame him. "I don't care about the money, Dallas. I care that you think that you can just run around and do whatever the damn hell you please, and you get thrown in the cooler and wait your time, then you're out again in a month." Dallas rolled his eyes before he leaned into the seat and faced away from him, turning his attention out the window. "Yeah, go ahead and roll your eyes, but this time you took that girl down with you, and if you think for a second-"

"Don't you dare lecture me about my sister." Dallas snarled, almost wolf-like, and I felt my breath hitch in my throat. Sodapop turned as I was about to put my hand on Dallas' knee in an attempt to calm him down, and Sodapop gave me silent message that said that wasn't a smart choice. I pulled my hand away slowly.

"I'm not tryna lecture you Dal, but you can't tell me anything about her either. You're around her for less than a day, and look where she ends up. You left when she was what, 12? 13?" Darry's eyes stayed glued on the road. "Out of those, she probably remembers 3." Dally didn't argue with him, but hell, he was fuming. His eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes were fiery. In this situation, I knew it was best to let him cool off for a while, not to push anything else. But Darry didn't stop. I admired him for that.

"So, while she's staying with us, and you're keeping out of the cooler while she's here, or else. You dig?" The car stopped and I hadn't even noticed, but we were now parked in the Curtis' driveway.

"Yeah." Dallas kept his mouth quiet and short. "I dig." He was out of the car in an instant, slamming the door so hard the car shook as he walked away harshly. He kicked over a neighboring trash can and muttered curses under his breath, before continuing to walk. There was no doubt in my mind he was going to look for trouble. I just hoped it was of the legal variety. I didn't know Darry very well, but by the way he talked I knew he meant business.

"I'm sorry about that kid." Darry's demeanor changed as he opened my door, a warm smile filling his once cold mouth. "I didn't even get to meet you and I'm already laying into your brother."

"It's okay." I laughed, making Darry and Sodapop smile again. "I'm sure he deserved it."

"Well I'm Darry, this kids older brother." He laughed and pulled Soda into a headlock, ruffling his hair as we all walked into the house together.

"I'm Nicole, but you can call me Nic if you'd like." I smiled and looked around the house. Steve was passed out on the couch, a deck of cards sprawled on the table in front of him. The house was quiet, a great contrast from what I had seen this morning.

"How old are you?"

"16. My birthday is on May 14."

"Alright then, I'll be sure to put that on the calendar." I smiled. I had never had my birthday on a calendar before. "Well we'll fix up the attic for you, and there are pillows in that closet. I take it you ain't got much stuff?" I just shook my head, and Darry nodded his head reassuringly as Sodapop went upstairs, saying a quick goodnight. "It's okay, we can just go shopping tomorrow. Is there anything else you need for the night?"

"I should be okay. Thank you, Mr.Curtis." I cringed at myself. I wasn't very sure why I said that, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

He looked uncomfortable for a second, before he answered. "It's okay, Nic, you can call me Darry."

"Okay....Darry." I hesitated for a moment and he smiled, happy that I seemed more comfortable around him.

"There you go. I think I'm gonna head up to bed, so goodnight and sleep well, Nic." He nodded and headed up the stairs, leaving me alone in the living room. I grabbed a fresh pillow from the closet and laid my head down, falling asleep almost immediately.