Avery

It's nearly 9:15, I should have started the training session 15 minutes ago. I can't, though, I'm missing two people.  Ali isn't here and neither is Emily.  The crowd is getting a little restless, but thankfully I caught sight of them coming in the door.  They both look tired, a little disheveled even.  Most do on these long weekends.  Strange hotel beds and sitting for long periods being talked at for hours is hard on people.  I don't care how Ali looks though, I think she's beautiful no matter what.  And I can't help it, I glance at her hand to see if maybe...?  

But no. 

I'll admit, last night did not go how I wanted it to.  It just didn't, and I should move on.  I know I told her not to answer me, but I know Ali.  I lived with her for quite awhile, remember?  I can read her like a book.  I know her mannerisms, her different touches, the way she holds herself when she's happy, upset, nervous, etc.  Right now, I know I don't have a chance with her.  I can see that she's in a great mood, and on top of the world, but it's not because of anything I've done.  She's walking past me right now and is so trained on Emily, I may as well not even exist. 

Tom would be furious with me if he knew I asked Ali out again.  He'd say I was just asking to be hurt again.  Trust me, I know he hates her, so I've never told him how I've really felt all this time.  He'd probably lecture me, etc., but I'd still feel the same. I wouldn't love her any less, it wouldn't make me want her any less.

I know he's harped on Ali a bit since his fiancé was paired with her at that school, but I just listen.  I know Ali and Em are friends because Tom told me they are.  That drives him crazy, but me?  It just makes me feel jealous of Emily getting to spend so much time with her.

I wish I was the reason she was walking tall and smiling today.  But I know I'm not.  I sigh and smooth out my dress.  Ever the professional, I recall that I have a company reputation to uphold.  This is neither the time nor the place for my feelings; I'm training.  Professional courtesy must be extended during training sessions as every teacher is considered to be a paying customer. Let's get this going.

"Good morning, Alison, Emily.  As soon as you collect your materials from the table and find your seats we can begin." I can see Ali has something on her neck so I thought I'd be kind and pull her aside to help her out.  From her stiff body language I can tell she got the letter and ring I dropped in her purse.

"Avery, please, not now.  My answer is still no." She won't even meet my eye contact.

"Calm down, Ali, I was only trying to tell you there's something on your neck."

"What?" Now I've got her attention.

"Your neck.  Here, let me see..." I tilt her head just far enough to see a small, but definite hickey.  And another further down that I can see just barely peeking out of her blouse.

"What is it?"

"Um... who were you fooling around with last night?  That wasn't there when we went to dinner." Last night she had on a boatneck top, I guarantee she was bruise free 8 hours ago.  So between leaving me and going to her hotel, who was she with?  This person she's supposedly in love with?

"That's really none of your business.  But this ring?  I can't keep this, Ave.  I appreciate everything you said, what you wrote, how you feel, but I just... I can't."

She slipped the box into my hand and scrambled over to her table where Emily was seated. This is definitely embarrassing for both of us. But how did she not notice those marks in the mirror getting ready this morning?  Seriously... who was she with? It makes me feel even more sad it isn't me.