Thomas

The house is dark, which means I beat Emily home for the 3rd night this week. School started a month ago and she's been staying late with the other teacher a lot. Alison I think is her name, I can't really remember as Emily and I hardly see each other right now. She's had to do a lot of planning together with her, and I'm sure this is just the start of what she can expect. I can't exactly be upset that Alison is spending more time with my fiancé than I do, I'm gone before Emily wakes up in the morning and I stay at work late almost every night.

I remember my first year teaching, it was hell. Getting to school before anyone else to prep, and staying late to make sure everything was set to go for the next day. And I didn't have a co-teacher either, I can't imagine how much more planning that takes. Well, since Emily isn't home I'd imagine a lot.

Hopefully she'll love her job enough that I can breathe a sigh of relief. I know she doesn't want to stay here, she made that crystal clear when we moved. But I'm hoping she changes her mind before too long. I'm the new principal of Rosewood Day High School, and it's my dream job. I'd be a fool to give it up when it's what I've always wanted, what I've worked for.  I put in 10 years in Minneapolis at the elementary school and worked my ass off to get my administrator's license.  When my parents called and told me the principal job opened up in Rosewood I was so excited.  It's my hometown and I wanted more than anything to go back. I'll admit, how Emily would react was a second thought to me accepting the position. A huge risk, I know.  I love Emily, I didn't want to lose her, but I also had to do what was right for me and what I've worked so hard to achieve.

I was determined not to lose her so I proposed after I told her about my job. You might be asking why I didn't propose and then tell her about the job. Well, that would have been a pretty shitty thing to do. Trap her in an engagement and then 'surprise!' we're moving. No, I'm not that big of a jerk.  I wanted her to make the choice with all the information.  I'm not sure what I'd have done if she had said no.  In less than a year, she'll be my wife, and I hope she'll want to stay here.  And please don't ask me what I know you're already thinking, I can't answer that question right now.

We don't live too far from the elementary school, so I am going to quick drive over and surprise her; it's about 7:45 so maybe we can catch a later dinner.  The light to the classroom is still on and since I'm an employee, my badge got me in.  I can hear Emily and Alison talking, and as I get closer, I can see them both sitting at a child size table, side-by-side, cutting up a pile of patterned shapes and laminated sheets, talking and laughing as they work.  I've yet to meet Alison, but Emily turned and saw me right away, a smile quickly flashing across her face.  I got a big hug and quick peck on the cheek, but I've been missing her today so I linger.  Well, I lingered until I heard, "Hi Tom." No one has called me Tom in ages, but I recall that voice from forever ago and I can't help but look and am filled with instant anger.  How the hell did I not put two and two together before this?  Surely she said something to Emily?  How could Emily not tell me her co-teacher and I know each other?

"Ali, this is unexpected.  I didn't realize you were partnered with Emily, she never said.'" I was curt, I know I was.  I'm also not entirely sure what just happened, but there was the briefest glance between Ali and Emily; almost imperceptible but it was there.   

"It's nice to see you again, it's been what..." she said to me.  Is she really playing dumb?  I cut her off and quickly filled in the time gap, "...10 years."

"That long?" Alison said.  She looks surprised, but that's bullshit, she knows.  "Not long enough," I mutter but Emily hears me and painfully jabs me.  Ali clearly heard me, too.

"Seriously, Tom, that was years ago, you're still not past that?" she accuses me.  I'm done here, ready to leave and I think it's time for Emily to call it a night, too, so I ignore Alison.  "Are you ready, babe?  I thought we could catch dinner?'"  I can see a struggle forming on Emily's face; she's torn.  I was just an asshole to her coworker.  I know Emily, and I can see on her face that she is deciding whether to stay, talk it out and apologize to her or come with me to dinner.  Next she'll rake her fingers through her hair, and yes, there it is, it's happening as I speak.