Chapter 3: Such a chore

Start from the beginning

Sighing on the bed, I looked up at the painted sky scenery on my bedroom ceiling. It was a DIY project Mum and I completed years ago before the incident happened. I'd been planning a sleepover with Cassie and Melissa which unfortunately never happened.

Those were much happier, arefree times... even if we were a bit wild. 

Usually, the cloudy scene would calm me, but today I found little peace in the white clouds and blue sky which sort of reminded me of his eyes–
Great!

It was mildly infuriating that my English teacher was popping up in my mind even at home. I couldn't stand it! I pushed myself up off the bed and walked downstairs slowly, rubbing my eyes before I heard Dad speak.

"About time you got up Rose, it's nearly noon! What did you and your friend talk about all night? I could hear ya giggling under the covers!"

He landed a kiss on my forehead as he walked out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee in his hand.
Mandy and I had stayed up until at least two in the morning snap chatting about any and everything imaginable.

I yawned and shrugged my shoulders.

"Afternoon sleepy head. You all set for school tomorrow?" Mum turned to ask while stirring a pot over the stove.
"No," I groaned groggily before grabbing a plate of blueberry pancakes Mum had left me for breakfast. Too lazy to heat it, up I proceeded to tuck in.

"Aww come on Rose, you used to love school! Remember when you used to wear your uniform to bed the night before? How cute you were then!" She paused in a reminiscing dream.

"Haha Mum," I began as I poured syrup over the pancakes. "That was what, eight years ago?"
I swear she would keep me and my brother as babies forever if she could. She always goes on and on about what we used to do as children. Like how we used to smear our own poo on the wall. It was a memory she even recounts with glee! Either that, or she'd pester Tom to get married quickly so she could have grandchildren.

I was just about to take another bite when Mum shouted at me. I panicked.

Oh no... empty the trash?
Check.
Cleaned my room?
Check— No, I haven't. At least I've done all my homework including the stupid essay for Mr. Green.

"I know you're still struggling with gaining weight, but eating the whole syrup bottle is just ridiculous. Can't you do it the healthy way?" She shook her head disappointingly.

I smiled at her sheepishly but relieved. "Hehe, yes Mother. Next time I won't put soo much. Too late now though."

"Don't you 'hehe' or 'yes Mother' me, young lady." She looked away in an attempt to hide her smile. It seemed she was in a good mood today.

"Well in other news honey," she began as she came around the chair to stroke my hair. I loved it when she did that.

"Hmm?" I scraped the remainder of the syrup with the last piece of pancake into my mouth.

"You're not gonna believe it, but... I found you the best piano teacher in Melbourne. I mean seriously darling, the best. I know you've been itching to get back into it lately."

"Oh yeah? Cool, thanks Mum. I have been thinking about practicing again actually. I'd like to finish the last piano grade before I graduate high school anyway."

"Mm-hmm. Exactly my thoughts. So I went ahead and booked you in."

"Okay, that's fine. But how's the new teacher? What's she like?" I waffled with my mouth full.

The piano was one of the other things I picked up while in Perth. My new counselor there suggested looking for something to keep me distracted yet content; a new goal or passion that was totally unrelated to my trauma or eating disorder. I decided to learn how to play the piano because I remembered how beautifully my Grandfather used to play it before he passed.