37 My Darkest Moment

POV Elsa

I have been awake the whole night, I felt like drowning. I am drowning in my misery, I feel cold and like I couldn’t breathe. This time Jack won’t save me from the water’s cold embrace like back then. He can’t come, he can’t lift me to his arms and comfort me in my darkest moment. All good ended in a blink of an eye.

Why can’t I be with Jack. I couldn’t even hold his hand when he took his last breathe, Jack was begging that Hans would let me go. The feeling of being crushed on the inside suddenly bursts out, tears drop slowly on my knees and then I let it all out. I grit my teeth and my hand squeezes my dress, I am crying.

The creaking sound of a wooden door gets me to open my eyes. I see Hans standing on the doorway, “Have you reached a decision?” He stares at me while he seems really happy about the result, to see me in agony of the loss I just experienced. “The answer is no,” I whispered. I will never marry him.

Hans walks to me and grabs my arm, he readies himself by lifting his hand in the air. I close my eyes and I am waiting that he hits me to my face with the back of his hand. When the hit doesn’t come I slowly open my eyes which feel sour from all the crying. Hans is lowering his hand and chuckles, “I won’t hit my future wife. That would be cruel.”

I spit on Hans feet and he groans. He pulls me up and drags me outside from my room that I would rather call a prison. There was no bed, no furniture at all. “If you won’t marry me I will make you suffer,” Hans yells to me and pushes me to sit on a chair. He dragged me to dining table.

Hans slams a bowl filled with porridge in front of me. “Eat up,” he hissed to me and I glared at him. It was  a lumpy looking disgusting plate filled with his filthy cooking. “No thank you, besides.. I don’t feel that good in the mornings,” I threw the bowl to ground and the sticky porridge was all over his clothes. I smiled after a while for a slight moment. I enjoyed looking at him while he tried to clean himself.

“You wench!” Hans yelled and placed another bowl in front of me. “Eat, I don’t want my soon to be wife starving herself,” he forced me to take the spoon and stuffed some of the porridge in my mouth. I coughed it out. “I already told you. We are not getting married and I feel sick even before eating that nasty stuff!” I screamed to him.

Hans was glaring at me, “Is that so.. morning sickness..hah.. wait. Don’t tell me.” His eyes widened and I crossed my arms. I will never tell him about me expecting a child. Hans gritted his teeth and opened the room to my imprisonment again, “Sure … Let us see how co-operative you are after spending the day in darkness.” He laughed and went to nail the windows shut. I saw how darkness filled the room.

Something clattered on the floor. A voice of thunder filled the air, Hans dropped the hammer because of the storm that suddenly appeared. The window shutters were  slamming against the windows outside. Wind was rushing inside from the narrow gaps between the logs.

Lightning strikes were splitting the air and sending flashes of light. Blue light. Why are lightnings blue? I stood up and slowly walked towards the window. I rubbed my sour feeling wrists which hans was just before squeezing when he dragged me to dining table.

Wind was making the log house give out cracking sounds. Hans ran to door and locked it. “Get under the table!” He yelled and I just kept standing still.

WHOOM.

The door just came out from the frames and flew to otherside of the room. Mist and fog floated inside and I saw how electricity came in. Blue electric waves were almost like dancing in the air.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Something or someone just knocked the wall. I hold my breath while I stare towards the door. Hans has fallen to ground and shivering from fear. I hear steps, someone is walking in the middle of the fog, slowly and certainly. Clap. Clap. Something made from wood is hitting on the floor while that someone walks.