Audrey Anderson

Flashback:

What is this?

I feel air softly hissing up my nose. I function my eyelids to split open. Blinding at first then I adjusted. The room surrounding me I recognized as a hospital room. I couldn't recall any reason why I was here. I next move what I recognize to be my arm. Up and over scratchy sheets to my face. I removed the pipes that was blowing cool air into me.
Suddenly I felt drowsy, my eyelids fell but I caught them halfway. Afraid to fall under I bolt straight up holding my head. It felt swirly with black dots. Underneath my skull was mushy the more I thought about anything the more it aches.

What is this?

The door opens.

"Oh you're awake. Are you okay Audrey?"

A lean built man with scruffy blonde hair advances towards me. His eye's were a vibrant green expressing clear as day sympathy. Who was he?

"What happened to me?" I ask still holding my head.

"You.. you had an accident. It was a miracle you survived." He bluffs reaching to touch my arm.

Instinctively I move away not allowing him to touch me. I don't even know him.

"Right I'm sorry, I'm Carter. We've been together for a few months. I was so worried about you." He frowns in a saddened manner.

I just kept my eyes on him, examining him unsure about anything at all. I believe it made him uncomfortable because he only fidgeted with himself as I did.

"Are you okay baby?" He breathes out.

I hesitated to respond but I wasn't even sure who I was.

"What happened to me?"  I ask again.

"Bad accident, doctors said try not to remember." Was his answer.

My arm falls back to the bed, I stared off into space recalling what I think to be a memory.
There was a hand, a hand burning. Reaching for me I was reaching for it. Around me was hot, burning hot. I only worried about whoever was reaching for me. I couldn't see the face of who the hand belongs to.

"Audrey." The man took a hold of my shoulders bringing me back. I flinched back not wanting to be touched.

"Stop." I utter.

"I-I'm sorry it's just..I don't want to lose you baby." His words were stale but his actions were sincere.

"I'll always be here for you okay?" His arm massages my back lovingly.

"Don't call me baby." Was all I said still staring off into nothing.

There was a silence, his hand stopped briefly then resumed the massaging.

"Yes Audrey."

~
Running again my lungs weren't piercing needle like feelings. My mind only seemed to have been jogging the pain for them. I was recalling Carter, my loving Carter who has taken care of me over the years. Suddenly I am feeling different about him. It felt as if I should be feeling these intruding feelings. I was angry at him. I don't even know why I was.

"A truck!" Rachel's voice snaps, she was holding Jamie.

A rusted up, old pickup truck stops hard a few feet away from us. Then a bunch of beer gutted men jump out guns ready.

"You girls alright?" One asks.

"Yes we have to get out of here! He's here!" Rachel explains.

As they quarreled another memory zaps into play over my sight. It was from a few years ago.