Chapter 3 (Hayleen)

"What do you think? Could it be that he has a girilfriend?", Lucy whispered excitedly, peeking around the corner to the black-haired boy.

Zacharius was leaning against the wall, his head was lowered so we couldn't see his face. Since the break had began he stood there, moveless. He looked like he was sleeping to me. If you're wondering why we were stalking him . . . Josey, Lucy and I decided to solve the mystery of Zacharius.

This morning, I have taken a look into the register, seeing his name really was Zacharius Black. A quite weird name if you ask me.

"I don't know. He never speaks with anyone, besides the insults towards the teachers", Josey said, adjusting her glasses. During the first two lessons this day, Zacharius made fun of our math teacher; as well as he have made fun of Mrs. Carter, our latin teacher and some of my classmates.

"I really wonder why he acts like this", I mumbled, eyeing his thin appearance, feeling my hands tremble. Today, he wore black jeans and a white, for him slightly too big, sleeveless shirt, like yesterday, even though it was freezing cold outside.

"And still, he doesn't seem to feel the cold", Josey said, blowing into her hands. Unfortunately, she has forgotten her gloves this day. The winter hasn't really begun yet, but it already was pretty cold outside, though it was bearable.

"Maybe I should just speak to him . . ."

Josey and I exchanged looks; Lucy definitely fell in love hopelessly. But most likely it was just a temporary crush like it often was. The last time she fell in love it was with the leader of our school's soccer team, Sean McCollin from the - back then - 8th grade. He was one class above us and he was one of the most popular students. I couldn't help but smirk when I saw Lu's clear, blue eyes gazing at Zacharius. She always draws her attention on the wrong kind of boys.

But other than me, she already had at least one boyfriend. I never have had one and I am sure I will never get one. Usually, it doesn't bother me that much, but now, whith my best friend on a 'hunt' and the new, mysterious guy at school talking to me the day before, I felt kind of excited. I couldn't exactly explain it, but I was starting to want a boyfriend. Someone, who could hug me, who would always be there when I need him and someone, who would love me the way I am.

With this illness I hated so much.

I was ripped out of my thoughts brutally by a squeal; it hit me like a punch in my face, pulling me back to the ground of reality.

"Look! Look!!! He moves!!!"

My left hand flinched violently while Josey and I were stretching our heads, trying to see Zacharius, who was hidden by Lucy's bouncing head. She jumped up and down continually with joy. And she was right. The pale boy slowly walked away from his spot, putting his hands in the pockets of his worn out trousers. I saw a little, black threat hanging from one of his bony wrists. Surprised, my eyes widened. I didn't expect him to wear a bracelet.

"He wears . . .", I began, but I was interrupted by the living, blonde, bouncing ball, which was dragging Josey and me into the school's building.

"Come on, guys!", Lucy said joyfully, following Zacharius silently, but quickly.

"Why? Maybe he just wants to go to the toilet", Jose exclaimed, lowering her speed. I stopped and rubbed my hands, in an attempt to calm down, looking at the black occupit and the white back of him. Zacharius' legs looked as thin as matches from this distance. In general, he was very thin. And his height was making it stand out even more. He almost looked like a skeleton, pulled over with skin.

"Lu . . ."

She doesn't react. Almost fanatically she followed Zacharius with mincing steps. Josey shook her head, stopping too.