ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4

"HEY MASON, SORRY I WAS OUT OF TOWN and couldn't exactly call you

"HEY MASON, SORRY I WAS OUT OF TOWN and couldn't exactly call you. How is your search for moonstone going on?" I asked as soon as I pressed the phone to my ears.

"Wrong, boy toy," Damon taunts into the phone from the other end.

"Damon?" I inquired, confused, "What are you doing with Mason's phone. Where is he?"

"He's right beside me! Although, his heart's in my hand," remarked Damon, and I heard a groan from the other end, followed by a scream.

"You don't have to do this," I tried to say to him calmly.

Damon made a noise of disagreement. "Tell me one good reason to not kill him, except for the fact that he is your new boyfriend," he probed. "You know I've had a hectic day today. I am about to kill a werewolf who says he in love with you, and then I will find that moonstone, which he had no luck in finding. Poor guy," he continued taunting. "Hey, where are you? Because, you know, I could bring him over. Last goodbyes and all that," quipped Damon smoothly as if he was not about to murder a werewolf.

"Don't hurt him, Damon. He is my friend. I can tell you whatever you want. Just ―just let him go, alright? We can discuss this, please," I said, trying to sound panicked.

"Well, I am torn. Should I be jealous that you care about the wolf enough to tell us your secrets?" Damon questioned bitterly.

"I thought you hate me. Why do you care if I like anyone?" I asked him with a smirk he couldn't see.

"You have an hour to get here, or his heart will be lying across the room," The older Salvatore brother said, avoiding the question.

"Give me two," I bargained. "I am all the way in New York, please."

Thanks for the tip, Caroline.

If she didn't message me just before Mason got witch-napped, I would have been caught off guard. As soon as Caroline mentioned the incident in the woods with Mason, I changed my tactics. I had decided to use this excellent occasion to tell them the sad sob story of one 18-year-old Katerine Petrova and use it to gain a few sympathy points while I am at it.

★ ➷ 。• ☆

And so, two hours later, I found myself back in Mystic Falls, at the boarding house, going over the whole improvised plot in my head once again.

Mason Lockwood was tied to a chair, bleeding on the wooden flooring, while the carpet was folded neatly and kept aside. Wow! Damon's such a housewife sometimes. I shook my head in exasperation and looked around the house to look at the other occupants of the boarding house. I released a thankful sigh when I only saw Stefan, Damon, and Caroline sitting in the living room.

I inhaled a deep breath and walked up towards an unconscious Mason, and untied the wolfsbane soaked ropes around his wrists without glancing at the vampires. When none of them voiced out any objection to my actions, I decided to adjust Mason's neck in a comfortable position. Once I was satisfied with my work, I went over sit by the fireplace, facing the three vampires.