ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4

Start from the beginning

I didn't give them an opening to talk as I jumped headfirst into the story as soon as I sat down. "I was born in the 15th century. 1473. My mother was a human. My father, on the other hand, was a traveler. They are a subspecies of witches that aren't allowed to stay in groups in one place and practice magic due to some ancient curse. Because of this, my sisters and I ―we didn't practice any witchcraft. Knew nothing about other supernatural species that lurked in the shadows."

"My father, he was a misogynist, you see. He preferred us to be in our homes," I said, casting my eyes over the fireplace the whole time. I let out a humorless chuckle at that specific topic, continuing the story. "And you know how much I hated the rules, so of course, I always did the things he disliked. I met a boy who liked my wild spirit, we were in love, or so I thought."

I paused a second to look at my manicured nails. "One day, I found out I was pregnant, and the father of the child isn't up for that. Still, I decided to keep it. I had a baby out of wedlock, a shame to the family. So, my father, the ever-loving one, thought it was a good idea to banish his 18-year-old daughter from Bulgaria for it. I didn't even get to hold her. I begged him to at least let me look at her―" I stopped, mid-sentence, feigning a remorseful tone, "―I was forced to give her up for adoption, and it was kept as a secret from everyone."

I then took a deep breath, trying to master myself, before continuing once again, "I was sent to England, where I quickly became English. I met two noble brothers there. Klaus and Elijah. They were generous enough to give me a place to stay in. I was quickly taken by Elijah's kind heart in no time. He was gentle, understanding and he showed me I had a place in the world. However, it was his younger brother, Klaus that asked my hand in courting. Deep inside, I knew Klaus wasn't interested in me. But I was still naive, and I wasn't willing to lose the roof over my head, so I said yes when Elijah didn't seem to have any interest in me."

"Oh, how stupid I was. My whole life, I had this stupid-fantasy filled in my head. I thought if one didn't believe in love, then there was nothing to live for," I moaned remorsefully, a harsh chuckle escaping my lips. "But I was quickly proved wrong when I discovered what exactly is happening around me ―what they were and what they wanted from me. And as soon as I realized it, I ran like hell."

"Vampires?" Caroline guessed.

"They weren't just any vampires," I said, shaking my head. "They were the Originals -the first of our kind."

"I thought they are a myth," Damon said with a frown.

"Oh! They are very much real, Damon," I insisted.

"What did they want?" asked Stefan curiously while the other two stayed silent.

"The same thing Klaus will want from Elena. He wanted to drain every single drop of blood from my body. He wanted to break the curse," I replied ominously.

"The sun and moon curse?" asked Caroline, confused.

"Yes. To break the curse, you need to sacrifice the doppelganger. And I was the doppelganger," I affirmed, "When I realized all that kindness and sweet nothings are but a ploy, I decided to run. But I knew it won't be enough ―I knew they would catch me. So, instead, I became a Vampire," I revealed to them, "To break the curse, you need a human doppelganger, and as a vampire, my blood was no longer any use to him. But now that Elena is here, he will be coming for her in no time."

"What did he do?" Damon questioned. "What did he do when you ran from them."

"I underestimated his spirit for vengeance, but living in a suitcase is better than dying so you can have your blood spilled over some silly little rock, or so I thought. I made a mistake," I confessed in a solemn tone, "As soon as Klaus knew that I turned into a Vampire and fled, he was enraged ―furious."