Chapter 10: His Burden

As the saying went, "A new broom always sweeps clean." Not only did the new CEO intend to do a good job, but his employees also wanted to prove themselves in front of their new boss.

It was just past nine o'clock in the morning. Lin Qian had already received countless requests from the heads of departments to have a meeting with Li Zhicheng. Everyone was saying that he or she had something urgent to report to their boss.

Lin Qian didn't think it was possible that there could be so many urgent and important things to report at one time. She was careful not to make any promises to anyone. She just told them that she would try her best to make arrangements for them. Then, she made a full schedule and took it to Li Zhicheng for him to review.

The sun shined that winter morning. Sitting behind his well-polished dark desk, Li Zhicheng was reading some basic information about the company, such as their products, markets, suppliers, techniques, etc. After hearing what Lin Qian reports, he looked up and frowned.

Lin Qian carefully watched his expression and tentatively gave her opinion. "Maybe you could pick from some of the main departments and meet their head managers to start?" She then handed him her schedule, on which she had marked with a pencil a few appointments that she thought were more important than the others.

She had done so just in case that Li Zhicheng had no idea how Aida operated. After all, he had no experience working in the business. If that were the case then she, as his adjutant, would help him, the commander, by giving him suggestions. But to her surprise, her suggestions turned out to be pointless. Li Zhicheng took the schedule, glanced at it, and just put it down on the desk.

"Cancel them all." In a calm and cool voice, he said, "We're going out this morning."

Lin Qian was impressed. In her opinion, only leaders who had their own ideas could become good leaders, no matter what kind of experience and abilities they had. Seeing him get up and reach for his coat, she didn't ask any more questions. She quickly went to her cubicle to pick some stuff up and then followed him out.

To her surprise, their first stop was the Security Department.

Curious as she was, she was smart enough to know that she should keep quiet and not ask questions. She followed him quietly, walking through the long hallway in the Security Department. On their way, some employees passed by them but no one recognized Li Zhecheng. It was probably because he was walking so fast and that he had also rarely made public appearances since taking up the office. Wearing a pair of high heels, Lin Qian had to try very hard to keep up with him and she ended up attracting a lot of attention from the other employees. Still, she was lagging behind him.

Striding a few more steps, he suddenly stopped and turned around to look at her. His gaze fell on her feet.

Quickly holding her hands up as if she was surrendering, Lin Qian said, "I'll wear flats tomorrow."

"Mmm." He turned around and continued to walk forward.

Lin Qian didn't move but chuckled to herself. Well, I'm afraid you're probably the only male boss who doesn't like it when his female assistant wears a nice pair of heels to work.

Gao Lang sat in the surveillance room at the end of the hall, dutifully working. He didn't look surprised seeing them come in. Lin Qian guessed that Li Zhicheng must have made an appointment with him earlier.

Still, he looked uneasy and said in a low voice, "Mr. Li, Assistant Lin, a moment please." He then took a black bag out of the cabinet and handed it to Li Zhicheng. He stood aside and kept quiet, his head bowed and his face red.

Li Zhicheng took the bag and watched him. Quiet for a second, he said, "What are you afraid of?"

Gao Lang shook his head at once. "No, no, I'm not afraid! I'm just a little bit uncomfortable. I'm good, I'm good."