Chapter 19

I look at myself in the mirror. My eyes scan my appearance multiple times before I exhale sadly. It's been a rough weekend for me, so I'm kind of glad that we had Monday off from school. Unfortunately, I was scheduled to work because we had no school. Although I know I'm still emotionally unstable, I want to face the world again.

I spent 30 minutes trying to cover up my dead looking face with makeup. I don't want the customers at the café to think that a zombie was hired. I had pulled my hair up into a high ponytail, then wrapped it into a lazy bun. Between the time I spent on my appearance and the semi-formal uniform I am wearing, I look like I'm ready to take on the day.

I just wish I felt the same on the inside. You 

"You don't have to go to work if you don't want to. I told Nans what happened at the party, and she said that you didn't have to go into work. We all think it would be best if you stayed home for another day," Kylie suggests. I look at her in the reflection of the mirror, and see her lying on my bed.

We've grown a lot closer this weekend. She and Ava had practically lived at my house in an attempt to make me feel better. They definitely helped me to move past Friday, but I know that I have to do it on my own too. I sigh, then turn to face her.

"I know that. All of you guys have been pushing for me to stay home. The thing is I've had both Saturday and Sunday to move past the party. I can't just hole up in my room for the rest of my life because some dick tried to take advantage of me. It happens all the time to people."

"But it shouldn't," she states abruptly as she stands up. "I know this happens all the time, and it's wrong. You, and the countless others, shouldn't have to endure this even. You deserve to be treated better. You deserve time to heal. You shouldn't feel obligated to be strong and forget about it just because it happens lots." She looks angry, and I shrink backwards a little.

"I know that, but what am I supposed to do? Sit and mope all day? I need to prepare myself somehow because whether I like it or not, I'm going to have to face him tomorrow. Plus, what's done is done. Hiding out on my bed isn't going to change the fact that it happened."

We have a miniature stare off for a minute before she finally breaks. "Alright, do what you want. Just know that if at any moment you feel weak to continue, no one will blame you." She steps forward and wraps me in a hug. I hug her back, more for her sake than for mine. She's feeling pain on my behalf, and that sucks. I don't want them to worry for me.

We exit my room and walk down to the kitchen. Jay is sitting on the counter texting while Brady is at the table in a uniform that matches the ones Kylie and I are wearing. He holds a cup of what I assume is coffee and scowls. I walk over and plop myself down in the seat across from him.

"Hey there, bud, are you ready for work today?" I ask him cheerfully, which only makes him scowl deeper.

"You know very well that I'm not, Livvy. I would rather still be sleeping. It's not even 10 in the morning yet, meaning that I should still be in bed." I grin and reach across the table to mess with his hair. He growls and slaps my hand away from his head.

Jay suddenly takes notice of us, and he frowns when he sees me. "You're still going into work today? I thought that we decided that you were taking another day at home." I roll my eyes at him.

"No, you decided that. I never agreed to that. I want to go into work today because I've spent all weekend at home. I've had lots of time to move past what happened on Friday. I have made up my mind and no one is going to change it."

He is about to reply with something, but Kylie stops him. "It's no use. She's being stubborn as hell right now, and no one is going to change her mind. Save your breath." Aunt Kerstin chooses this moment to make her entrance with Emma.