"I care, you idiot!"

It was just another day.

They were fighting the Galra, of course. But this time was different. They were surrounded, and there was seemingly no way out of this one. The Paladins fought a bit harder than they usually did, and they almost always fought with everything they had.

"Pidge, on your right!" Shiro shouted. Pidge looked in that direction and turned, firing at the Galra fighters.
"Guys, I could use a little help over here!" Keith yelled. Lance immediately turned and started towards Keith's direction.
"I got you, buddy!" He said when he took down the fighters shooting the red lion from behind.

Keith couldn't help but smile.

"Thanks, Lance." He said in response. The blue paladin smiled. The fight wore on, the Paladins fighting side-by-side like the team they were.
"Woah!" Hunk yelped when he narrowly dodged the ion canon. "Be careful, you guys! They're starting to bring out the big guns!" Just as he said that, Pidge quickly maneuvered Green out of the way of a blast.

"Copy that. Team, take out those canons!" Shiro ordered. The lions summoned their jawblades and aimed for the ion canons. Lance watched Keith carefully, he knew the red paladin could be reckless, and didn't want Keith to get injured. Just then the canon that Keith was going for prepared to fire.

He's not gonna make it out in time! I have to do something!

Lance pushed the levers of his lion forward quickly, aiming to push the red lion out of the way.
"Keith, watch out!" The sound of metal clanging against metal was almost deafening, and when Lance looked up, Keith was out of danger.
"LANCE!"

He was hit by the blast.

It was a few days before Lance came out of the pod. Keith got little to no sleep in those few days. When he wasn't in the medical bay, he was on the training deck, unable to get the thought out of his head.

Lance saved me. He saved me from the blast. Lance. Why? He hates me, right? Why would he do that when he knew he would be injured? I would rather be in that pod then Lance—

Whoosh
The pod opened

Keith rushed forward to grab Lance as he fell out of the pod.
"Heya, mullet..." Lance greeted, his voice muffled from his head being buried in Keith's shoulder. Keith only held him tighter.
"What were you thinking?" He asked through gritted teeth.
"Hm?" Lance mumbled. Keith shoved him off.

"What were you thinking!? You could have died!" Keith yelled, tears in his eyes. Lance blinked and looked him over. His hair was a mess, there were dark circles under his eyes, he looked paler than usual, and when was the last time he ate?
"Keith, wha—"
"Why are you so stupid? Sacrificing yourself like that? What would've happened if you hadn't survived, huh?!"
"I just—"
"Just what, Lance? Had to be the center of attention again?" Keith glared at the taller boy in front of him.
"I didn't-... I..." Lance turned his head, not looking at Keith.

"I thought that if I didn't survive that at least Voltron would still have you. No one cares about me..."

"I care, you idiot!"

Lance's eyes widened and he looked back at Keith. His tears now flowing freely down his face.
"I care about you..." His voice cracked. He looked down and wiped his tears. "I care about you, Lance. I always have... and when you t-took that blast, I-I, I just..." a sob escaped his throat. Lance quickly wrapped his arms around the smaller boy. Keith continued to cry into his chest.

"I love you. That's why I did it. I don't want to see you get hurt. I love you, Keith."

Lance wrapped his arms around Keith's waist and pulled him closer. Keith looked at him, tears still streaming down his face, his cheeks red, and his eyes wide. Lance put their foreheads together and closed his eyes. Keith hooked his arms around Lance's neck and sighed.

"I love you, too, dumbass."