Chapter 20

Ashley was with her two sons on the mainland, as a tropical storm raged at sea. The voicemail she got from her husband had her worried, but she knew he was safe. At the news that Lisa might be getting engaged to another merman, she was quite surprised. She was also happy. I'm going to get grandchildren at long last! Then she mused at what happened so far. The scuba diving lessons were fun. Douglas was complaining a bit, but that dissolved when he had a cigarette. I really wish he'd stop smoking those! Josh seemed to take to scuba diving like a pro, too. He really seemed to enjoy it. I think he even got the attention of a smaller group of divers that liked to go out on occasion. When her phone rang, she smiled at the ringtone.

"Hello?" Ashley said, as she answered her phone.

"Hey, hun," Joel said. "We're heading back now. I'm going to have to stop by the jewelry store. Lisa got engaged. Annie actually learned a few things. She's also being punished."

"Oh?" she blinked. On learning what happened, and what the punishment was, she found herself sighing. "Poor Annie. Well, at least she's coming back to me alive with only a sore face and hurt pride to show for it. Did Kilnak really try to stab her in the foot?!"

"He said that he missed. He did it on purpose as a warning. I'm also bringing back some cooked lobster. How were the scuba diving lessons?"

"They were fun! Lisa and Annie will have to go alone, but they'll enjoy it," she giggled.

"That's fine. We should be back in an hour or so. Call me, if anything happens," he chuckled. When she disconnected the line, she saw Josh running up to her.

"Mom!" he said. "I was just offered to do some exploring on the reefs! Can I go?"

"Why are you asking me? You're not a teenager!" she laughed and patted his shoulder. "Go on and have fun. I'll be at the hotel. You have your phone?"

"Dad didn't give me the battery back. I have the charger," he said.

"Can you keep it plugged in somewhere?"

"I can. There's a generator on the boat."

"Good. Your father will be back in an hour or so. Make sure to be back by then!"

"Awesome!" he grinned and trotted back over to the small group of people that were getting ready to leave. She saw that Doug was lounging by the hotel pool in the smoking area. Deciding to head up to the room to shower and rest, Josh was in a completely different mindset.

On the small charter boat, he was excited. He's been dying to try and look for something in the ocean. Ever since he saw the treasure drawings in Nichole's old room, he's been fascinated. The gold bug definitely bit him hard. As he glanced out at the choppy waves, he didn't even notice the two girls in the group eyeing him flirtatiously. He was focused on trying to see if he could find something. If he could, he would want to come out as often as he was able.

"Not sure what we'll find, but we'll have a blast!" one of the guys said.

"Yep!" Josh grinned and put on the scuba gear he was offered.

"So, are you doing anything after this?" a girl asked. "We know of an awesome party place!"

"I think my family was doing something. I'm here on vacation with them, so I have to go by what they want first. If they don't have anything planned, I'll definitely hit you up on that," he winked.

"Great! Um...can I give you my number?" she blushed. She was a pretty red-head with a decent enough body. He chuckled at her with a small shake of his head.

"Not right now. Let's wait until we head back, okay? I want to do this part of the trip first," he smiled. He was way too experienced to jump into this part of a possible relationship. He would rather feel the girl out first. Then, if he liked her enough, he would accept a phone number. Too many times he thought the girl was nice and sweet to realize that she was too overbearing later. Most of them weren't serious and wanted nothing to do with him after the first date.