Chapter 82 The Bet

Start from the beginning

The meeting lasted well through the morning before it finally ended.

Xiao Yan exhaled in relief, and Ritz happily slung an arm on Xiao Yan's shoulder.

"What's wrong? Such a sad look? Is it the simulation system or the x-virus project that has you looking so down? It all sounds like a headache, but everyone here have more than one project. Look at the opportunities."

"So he should be more like you? From last year until now, your department has accumulated more than 26 unfinished projects."

Loch's glare smashed right through Ritz.

"And you are so good? You complete your research like it is your final dying wish...and for what? So Ervel can hand you more work? How long has it been since you slept? I bet I will live a much longer life than you." Ritz slid a piercing glance toward Lock.

"With the way that you avoid having to think I imagine that your chance of getting dementia is far greater than mine."

The two researchers continued to go at each other, Xiao couldn't help but feel a bit nostalgic.

Casey and he used to quarrel like that. Now he is a major and Casey isn't even in the city.

"Hey Xiao Yan. We should celebrate your promotion. Do you want to go to the Blue Tulip with me? There are many beautiful women that are just waiting to pounce on you." Ritz has taken inventory of all the beautiful women in the military. He even has then ranked on a leaderboard.

"Hey, Xiao Yan! Today is the first day you become a major. Do you want to go to the Blue Tulip

"Mr. Ritz, I suggest you don't." Loch's drained voice gave a stern warning.

"Why? You just don't want to see me enjoy myself!"

"If you were drinking by yourself at the Blue Tulip I have no doubt you would enjoy yourself. But if Colonel Burton knows you brought Xiao Yan on a drunken binge with you...well...then, I can guarantee I will live longer than you."

"..." Ritz stood speechless as his arm stiffened on Xiao Yan's shoulder. After thinking on this advice, he hastily lowered it, "Oh... oh..."

"Why would you mention Colonel Burton?" Xiao Yan was confused

"Why would he mention Colonel Burton?" Ritz arched a brow at Xiao Yan's tone and shrugged his shoulders.

"Young people! Colonel Burton kissed you in front of the Central Academy of Sciences. This behavior sends quite the message.... He pretty much branded you as his. We must communicate and work together, but it is important to define the boundaries. That is why I will live longer than this old man."

"Let's go. I will go to the Blue Tulip with you." Loch grabbed a hold of Ritz and ushered him toward the door.

"Who wants to go drinking with you?! Those beautiful women won't come close to me with you there! You are nothing but a giant rabid dog! "

"The rabies virus has been extinct for some time now."

As he watched them retreat, Xiao let out a sigh of relief.

The two projects he was assigned were of great import to the city. He doesn't know anything about them. He must sort them out quickly, and he only knows one person in the whole Shire that could help him.

So Xiao Yan once again found himself at the torture force.

He could hear the sound of symphony music drift down the hall as he approached Xia's office.

The liaison officer opened the door and Xia was seated with his eyes closed as he tapped his fingers on the table.

Xiao Yan approached him and the music gradually faded out. As he stood next to him, there was a deep silence and the general slowly opened his eyes. He stared at Xiao Yan for a while and then  his lips lifted in an ambiguous smile.

"I bet every time Heine sees you in that military uniform he wants to tear it off."

Xiao Yan licked his lips nervously as the good looking and observant general grinned at him playfully.

"You haven't yet sorted out your memories of Colonel Burton?"

"No."