Chapter Nine, A Way Out

Start from the beginning

Walt could understand why. Even when they had entered the Hollinger, Millie had been a very attractive older woman. Alphega had restored much of her youthful beauty, and her presence at the sensitizing sessions still aroused prurient interest amongst the male inmates, even after all these years.  

"But how about you, Walt? I rarely see you nowadays at any of the recreation sessions, and I cannot remember the last time I saw you and Hilda together. Is something wrong?"  

"Not really." 

She knew he was lying.  

"Well if you ever want to talk I'm available. You know my room and I'm usually there for a couple of hours after my exposure. Now I'd better get into my exposomat or I'll miss my allotted time." 

Walt watched admiringly as Millie pulled her smooth taut body from the pool and confidently strutted over to the exposomat.  

Was this the start of an attempted seduction or did she suspect what he was up to and wanted to help in some way?  

Walt wasn't sure, but in the days that ensued, he made sure to share the sensitizing pool with Millie as often as possible, and eventually arranged a nocturnal meeting in the gardens.

"Why here, Walt? You're quite welcome in my rooms." 

"I know, but I have a terrible feeling that they have a system which allows them to monitor all activities in our rooms. Out here we should be able to talk more freely." 

They had left the Hollinger down the steps of the main staircase, and wandered over to the wild flower garden. Just after sunset was the best time for outdoor activities and their stroll in the garden wouldn't arouse suspicion. 

"What is so hush-hush that you don't want them to hear?" 

"Nothing really. It's just that I like to get out of there. I find it so regimented so claustrophobic." 

"Me too." 

Was this a signal?  

"Millie. Would you mind if I asked you a rather personal question?" 

"No, go right ahead." 

"Why did George try to escape? I mean it is a little bit like being in prison here, but I cannot imagine any man wanting to leave you behind." 

Millie smiled at his clumsy compliment.

"He wasn't leaving me behind, Walt. I was going with him. We decided that we didn't want to live under these conditions anymore. We wanted to spend our final years in the old way, back in our summer cottage on Lake Nipogong." 

"Weren't you worried about the effect of sunlight and alphega withdrawal?"  

"We didn't know anything about withdrawal at that time and I think it's a load of moose manure anyway, designed to keep us dependent. Just think about it. George was found after three days. I cannot believe that withdrawal can happen so fast. I'm convinced that poor George died from dehydration." 

"But surely he knew not to go into sunlight?" 

"George had it all figured out, or so he thought. He believed that the active ingredient of alphega, whatever that is, needs sunlight to be activated, but that one wavelength in the solar spectrum initiates the dehydration." 

"That explains our morning routine. The exposomats must filter out the dangerous radiation." 

"I think the pre-exposure bathing maybe has something to do with it too. Anyway, George felt we would be okay as long as we avoided direct sunlight."