Thirty

[audeamus]

The weeks following the battle went by slowly, both camps limping through the aftermath of what had been a gruesome war. The wounded needed attention, the dead needed burials, and the living needed reminders that the tragedy and strife of the past weeks, past months, was behind them for good. Their storm had come, but now, it had passed, leaving only work to be done.

Tessa watched from the windows of the infirmary as even now, campers worked to keep the valley safe. While Camp Half-Blood had not sustained any direct attacks, it had been breached time and time again over the years and that was something that would no longer be tolerated.

And most harrowing of all were the fallen and the shadows they left behind, despite the endless days of sun. The funeral pyre had burnt for hours, illuminating the night with those who had perished for this cause. Tessa's cause.

Orpheus Spencer, killed in the ambush.

Sierra Hanson, killed in the attack on Camp Half-Blood.

Angela Hale, killed by the Necklace of Harmonia's curse.

Julius Finnicum, Luci Glaw, and Parker Andrews, all killed in the Battle of the Harbor.

So many lives had been claimed by Menoetius and his forces, during this battle and all those in the past. Despite it all, Tessa vowed that they will not have died in vain.

Some hadn't died at all though.

Tessa turned back to the viewing window of the infirmary, into the room and temporary prison of Vinny Maxwell. The traitor himself was sprawled across the cot, being attended to by children of Apollo. Reese was standing guard inside, his arms folded and his bow across his back.

Tessa wasn't entirely sure why Kaden had spared Vinny's life, but she figured it came from that intransigent heart of gold of his. He couldn't kill a friend, not when that friend had been misguided. That's at least what Kaden had said when Tessa asked, and she decided to not argue with him on it. He'd already lost so many people; he didn't have to defend anything to her.

"Tessa?"

Tessa turned to find Flynn walking towards her, lab coat draped across his camp shirt and board shorts. Drumming his pen across the clipboard in his hands, he nodded to the viewing window.

"Keeping an eye on him?"

Tessa sighed as she cast another look at Vinny, who was glaring tiredly in her direction. If he knew she was standing there, Tessa wasn't sure, but she figured it explained the look.

"Forgive me if I'm being cautious." Tessa turned back to Flynn. "It might take me a while to pardon him."

Flynn shook his head. "I don't blame you whatsoever." He turned towards the window, and a furious look that Tessa didn't associate with the bumbling son of Apollo before her filled his face. "In my opinion, he deserves a whole lot worse."

For a moment, neither of them said anything. There were merely the sounds of the infirmary rising and ebbing in the background: the hum of voices, cabinets being opened and closed, footsteps meandering the halls. The sounds of simplicity, recovery, healing.

Flynn cleared his throat, drawing Tessa's attention. "Tessa, how've you been feeling lately?"

Tessa furrowed her eyebrows at Flynn, ever so slightly. "Fine, I guess. Tired."

That seemed to further something in Flynn's mind.

"Tired? As in exhaustion or fatigue? Or both?"