Two

[respice adspice prospice]

There was once a time in his life where silence and peace surrounded Kaden. It was so long ago that sometimes Kaden wondered if he'd made up the happy memories of life on the countryside. The summer nights spent chasing fireflies seemed so distant, so intangible from the days spent fleeing monsters and enemies. His childhood was something of precious value to him, and had once hung like Atlas' curse over his shoulder, a boulder to bear.

But as Kaden stood on his balcony, surveying the skyline of New York, listening to the car horns and bustle and just overall noise of his home, he realized how far he'd come. And inherently, how much farther they still had to go.

His phone rested on the ledge before him, and Kaden kept pressing the home button to check for the time and any update on Tessa's arrival. Tessa hadn't given him much detail about what was so urgent she needed to see him for, only that she had to, but Kaden had learned to roll with the punches that were Tessa's spontaneous plans a long time ago. So there he was. Standing. Watching. Waiting.

Kaden took a sharp breath of the late spring air, tinged with the scent of flowers and car exhaust from the city below. Part of him had an inkling on what Tessa needed him for, and that inkling gave him a pang of worry. It was no surprise that war was on the horizon, danger and pain and oblivion, but how long did they have until it wasn't on the horizon, but staring right at them?

A sudden knock at the door would have once startled Kaden, but years of his training allowed him to stay calm and vigilant. Kaden downed the rest of his drink, pocketed his phone, and headed towards his door, mentally preparing himself for who was outside.

But even though he'd seen her a million times in his lifetime, knew her appearance like the back of his hand, witnessed how her turquoise eyes went startlingly electric when she was onto something, he was still caught off guard when he swung open the door.

Still in her work clothes, Tessa was still as resplendent as always. Her long chocolate hair tumbled over shoulder, the ends waves like those she could so easily control. Her hands were stuffed into the pockets of her trench coat, and despite the heels and the dress pants and the professionalism she exuded, Tessa was still the Tessa he knew.

And loved.

"Hey," Kaden greeted, quelling that niggling voice in the back of his head. "What's up?"

"Mind if I come in?" Tessa nodded towards him, slightly breathless. Kaden quirked an eyebrow—had she run here or something?

Kaden stepped aside, swinging the door open more to allow Tessa entry. She swept in like a storm, the clacks of her heels against the hardwood floors the thunder. Upon shutting the door, Kaden whirled around to find Tessa holding up a flash-drive hardly bigger than her pinky finger.

"Someone left this at my desk," Tessa said blankly.

Kaden blinked, almost amused. "You came all this way to ask about a flash-drive?"

Tessa frowned. "It's an important flash-drive. And you didn't let me finish." She gave him a pointed look.

Kaden put his hands up in mock surrender, but started towards his office. "What happened?"

Tessa followed him, walking at his side. Kaden tried to ignore how they walked in sync, the way they were trained to as sparring partners.