Twenty-Two

[ex vulgus scientia]

Tessa slipped on her glove, watching herself in the mirror with a resolute expression. Each motion she made was harsh and swift like Tempest's glorious arcs, as if she truly had become nothing more than a weapon. She couldn't tell if she should smile at that or glower, as she'd been doing all day.

In a matter of minutes, the Greek and Roman forces would be marching on Menoetious' forces on Wall Street. Held inside were the stolen objects, now believed to be giving Menoetious strength through the discord and bloodshed they had reaped in their absence. Lukas, Kaya, and Alex would helm the recovery of the Sword of Peleus and Ariadne's String, each leading their own teams throughout the building.

However, there was more within Menoetious' lair than just dusty trinkets stained with blood. Tessa's mission, rather, was centered around intel. Specifically, she'd tasked herself with reconnaissance of Menoetious' plans for Operation: Tempest and the remained of Project Maelstrom. If she could get out with that information, it could turn the tide of the war.

Tessa took a breath, meeting her own gaze in the mirror once more. She was ready for this op, with her hair tied back and armored gear on her frame. The black getup reminded her chillingly of the General's uniform, but she supposed her clunky bronze breastplate and greaves wouldn't be conspicuous enough for this kind of covert mission. Although, if Tessa ran a hand down either of her arms or her legs, she'd find enough bronze blades and other gadgetry specialized for this moment: Artemis' dagger was stealthily sheathed to her upper left arm, thin blades were tucked into the fabric of her right forearm, a gun was holstered to Tessa's left thigh, and Tempest gleamed in Tessa's hand, free of a sheath. Paired with that, emergency knives—courtesy of Jesse and the Hephaestus kids—were tucked into her boots, as well as the boots of every half-blood on this mission.

She was a walking armory with the force of a hurricane behind its doors.

A knock at the door ripped Tessa from her reverie, and she turned to find Adhara Wren propped up against the door. Violet eyes regarded Tessa, twinkling in some other-worldly way.

"Do you have something for me?" Tessa asked, her tone light despite the elephant in the room that was her armor and weaponry.

Adhara cast a suspicious look up and down Tessa's frame. She gave Tessa a sympathetic look. "You look like Tomb Raider met Catwoman. Hot, yet effective...if not a little overdone."

Tessa sighed. "Adhara."

"Right, right," Adhara waved a hand at herself, clearing her throat. "The Romans are in position in the financial district. They're waiting for your command."

Tessa resisted the urge to snort in contempt. Since when did Rome wait for anything? "We'll be there soon. We march as one."

When Adhara didn't leave to give the news, Tessa flicked her eyes up warily to meet Adhara's. "Did you have anything else?"

Adhara tilted her head at Tessa. "I've always admired you, Tessa. You're strong. Even when the universe is against you, you find a way to cleave your own path against those presented to you."

Tessa made a face. "That could be seen as pretentious and ignorant to others."

"Yes," Adhara mused. "But not to me. You see, I've seen a lot of tyrannical leaders using their strength and their power to make demands. But not you. No, you use your strength like a hidden weapon, even though you carry around that sword." She wiggled a manicured finger at Tempest, still in Tessa's hand.