Chapter 31

Friday 31st December 1965

The White House

Jack was lying on his and Jackie’s bed staring at the celling. He’d snuck in quietly from the Oval, Jackie was hosting a party in the living room but he was exhausted.

He was lying thinking when he saw the door open. Jackie walked in. “Hiya bunny.”

“Hey kid.” Jack replied as his wife sat down beside him. “You okay?”

“I’m fine, wondering where you were.”

“Sorry I just needed to lie down.”

“It’s okay I know your tired.” Jackie smiled.

“I’ll be through shortly I promise.”

“Ok bunny.” Jackie said before kissing him. She then went back to join her guests.

Jack fell asleep.

The next thing he knew Jackie was poking his arm. “What? What happened?” Jack asked jumping awake.

She smiled. “You feel asleep.”

“Oh, is it new year?”

“Not yet but I wanted to be with you.”

Jack sat up and leaned against his pillows. They were sitting chatting when a loud cheer went up from the sitting room.

Jackie giggled. “Happy new year bunny.”

“Happy new year to you too Kid.”

Jackie leaned in and kissed him tenderly. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Jackie embraced him and held him tightly. “Are you coming back to my party?”

“No I need to sleep.”

“Ok, let me help you into your pajamas.”

Once he was changed he crawled into bed. Jackie tucked him in before kissing his head. “Sleep tight.”

Before she left the room Jack was sound asleep. She smiled as she switched the light off.