3. Friend or Foe?

Start from the beginning

"It's nothing," Serena said, dismissing her problems for a moment.  She hoped he would go away.  She wanted to be alone with her thoughts for now.

"Nothing doesn't make you cry," Sirius insisted.  "I heard you the moment I stepped outside."

"It's raining.  You should be inside.  You'll catch a cold."

"I could say the same to you."

"Besides, you don't care what's wrong with me...or you won't when you find out who I am."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I'm a Slytherin."

He leaned closer to her and drew out his wand.  He lit the tip of it with a flick of his wrist.  Sirius held it down close to her face.  His eyes stretched when the light illuminated her features.  He recognized her immediately.

"You're Snivellus's mate.  Serena, isn't it?"

Serena rolled her eyes.  She clearly wasn't in the mood for his company, but she decided to humor him anyway.  "Yes."

He shook his head, and much to her surprise, sat down beside of her.  "I knew old Snivellus would break your heart somehow.  He seems to be really good at that."

She turned to glare at him.  "His name is Severus.  Don't make me hex you again," she warned.

"He's always been Snivellous to me, but I won't call him that in front of you if you like."  He rubbed his chin.  He sure didn't want her to use her wand on him again.  It had taken him a week to get over her last hex.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome.  It's the least I can do."  Sirius grinned.  "Now tell me what he done to you."

Serena was a little reluctant to tell him anything.  He was likely to spread it all over school as soon as he got back.  It didn't matter though.  There would be no one there to be taunted by anyone he told by her.  She sighed deeply, and then told him everything that had just happened.  To her surprise, he listened intently.  She blushed when she told him the part about loving him for more than just a friend, and thought he might make a big deal out of it, but he didn't.  He sat there silently as she poured her heart out to him.  When she finished her story, he placed his hand over hers.

"I'm sorry that happened to you.  It's his loss though."  He paused for a moment.  Severus's leaving was partly his fault.  "You know, I came out here to think about things, to re-evaluate my choices over the past few years.  I've grown up quite a bit.  James has Lily and Remus has Lurey.  I want someone I can talk to and maybe hang out with outside of that circle.  I'm starting to feel like a fifth wheel."

Serena wiped her eyes on her sleeve.  The rain was starting to slack off now.  She looked like a dishevelled mess.  "Why are you telling me this?"

Sirius grinned.  "Because you seem like a good listener.  And maybe I was hoping we could forget this past year ever happened and start over.  You don't need Sni-  Sorry.  Severus.  Maybe you and I could be friends."

She stared at him, unsure if she had heard him right.  What did she have to lose?  "Really?"

Sirius shrugged.  "Sure.  If you want."

She smiled warmly at him and stuck out her hand.  Sirius shook it happily.  "It's a deal," she declared.

Serena smiled at the memory.  She and Sirius had been friends ever since that night.  He was a part of her life now and she couldn't bear to even think about losing him.  She gazed down at Harry.  Harry couldn't lose him either.  Right now, Sirius was the only family he had left.  His eyes were closed.  Her smile broadened.  He was sleeping.