Chapter Fourteen: They Can't Hear Me

Start from the beginning

The tom slid in between us. "Get out, One Eye. Tigerstar told me to feed her, you can have your fun afterwards."

He let out a growl and then padded away from us while Houndleap turned around and faced me. "Here's a rat. Best I could do since The Dark Forest cats don't eat."

I nodded at him, eyeing the piece of prey. It was giant and disgusting looking, but at least I wouldn't starve.

"I'm Houndleap. You're Icepaw. Welcome to ShadowClan's old camp. They were the easiest to fight off and manipulate so that's why we took over, hope you don't mind." He glanced around the den and his ear twitched. "He wasn't lying, if they do see you treating yourself they will make it hurt more, so don't get caught."

My voice wouldn't work. I was too terrified to even respond to the one cat who wasn't trying to kill me here. Was this a joke?

"It's fine if you don't respond," he purred in amusement. "I have to go now. Bye, Icepaw." Then he left the den quickly, leaving me alone again.

I quickly raced to the corner of the den, crouching down and waiting for the next cat to come in. I was all alone here, StarClan couldn't hear me. I was trembling in fear and my wounds were still bleeding. It was only a matter of time.

***

"Visitor!" a voice yowled and my eyes peeled open to see a familiar gray-and-brown she-cat rushing towards me with horror and concern plastered on her face.

"Fernpaw?" I whispered in surprise. Was I dreaming? How was she here? I stood up and greeted her warmly, pressing my nose against hers, but the reunion was cut short as my legs gave out and I fell to the ground. My wounds were still aching in pain. "What're you doing here?"

The medicine cat apprentice was grooming one of my wounds. "They like ShadowClan cats, right?" she chuckled softly. I could see the scratches going down her pelt. They did that to her. "Jaypaw wanted to come but I wouldn't let him, he's grumpy and very negative. And also blind. I'm going to take care of your wounds before they come get me. I'll be back soon but Tigerstar wants to see me."

Fear was clawing at my pelt and I scooted away from her. "Are you with The Dark Forest, Fernpaw?"

She gave me an odd look. "No, Icepaw, I'm not. Now let me treat you, you've been bleeding out the whole time you've been here." She grabbed some Cobwebs and coated my wounds, putting pressure on the ones that wouldn't stop. "Soulflame and Jaypaw are worried sick about you."

I felt my body tremble as tears flooded out of my eyes. "I don't want to be here, Fernpaw. I want Soulflame and Jaypaw and Flowerwhisker," I sobbed quietly.

Fernpaw nodded at me, licking my ear. "I know... I know. Don't worry, I'll get you out of here. Soulflame has been trying nonstop to get you back from The Dark Forest cats, they won't budge yet, but we'll find something they want, okay?"

"Fernpaw!" a voice I recognized as One Eye, echoed all around us and she turned around, blocking my view of the entrance where he stood. "Tigerstar is ready to see you."

She hurried forward and left with the tom and I sobbed into my paws, gasping for breath.

A light brown tabby she-cat entered the den, glaring at her. "Quit your crying fleabag!" she growled and I felt her claws slice through my pelt. I let out a wail of pain. "You're weak and pointless! Useless!" Her claws slid through my pelt again and I could feel my sides aching as I lost more blood. "I killed three of my own kits to become leader, and do you know what happened?" she growled, crouched down in front of me. "They killed me! Those fish-faces!" She hissed angrily and stood back up.