6| "Meeting People Is Easy"

Noel sat in his seat quiet, looking around the classroom at all the other kids laughing and having the time of there lives. He hated the people in his Freshmen Connections class. He had no one to talk to during this hour long jail sentence, unlike Isaiah and Levi who had the class together.

“Good afternoon class,” Mrs. Rodriguez began at the front of the room. Marcy dashed into the classroom. And took her seat in front of Noel. “Nice for you to join us,” she walked passed Marcy.

“Sorry,” Marcy shrugged.

Noel didn't like people like Marcy. She was just like every other person in the class, better yet the school. First was the Emily fiasco, then it was Kayla's. Judging by this Noel couldn't trust people. He knew the damage people could due to others.

Mrs. Rodriguez stood at her desk with a bucket in her hand. “We're going to do a little weekend group project, that's worth a third of your grade,” she began. The students in the class were ecstatic as they thought they had it easy. A weekend project to do with your friends was cake, but not for Noel. “I want each of you to pull a slip of paper out from the bucket and whoever has the same number as you will be your partner,” she stated. Groans were heard around the room.

After navigating her way around people she finally made it to Noel who reached in and grabbed a paper. His number was eleven. At the bottom of it read: You and your partner must find common ground with each other and figure out how your lives are the same by spending 12 hours handcuffed together.

“Alright class find your partner.” Everyone got up and started shuffling around trying to find their partner.

“Who has eleven?” Marcy asked holding handcuffs in her hand.

“Just my luck,” Noel mumbled under his breathe. He gathered his things and made his way over to Marcy. “Eleven?”

Marcy turned around in her seat and smiled. “Yeah, I'm Marcy.”

“I know who you are.” Noel flipped open his notebook.

Marcy didn't know how to respond. “Okay, you're Noel, right?” She tried making conversation.

“It's sad you got stuck with the schools basket case,” Marshall smirked. Everyone in the class laughed. It was people like him that Noel hated. They didn't understand Noel. They all had it easy, without a care in the world.

“Marshall, Principal's office. Now.” Mrs. Rodriguez escorted him out.

“What was that for?” Marcy asked Noel.

Noel just sat their quiet, his eyes were watery but he was fighting back the tears. “It's nothing, I have to deal with there neanderthal race everyday.”

“You shouldn't have to go through this.” She put her hand on his forearm.

“I don't need your pity.” Noel pushed her hand off of him.

“It isn't pity.” Marcy was confused. “Emily told me that you and her use to be good friends and that you're the type of person that would except anybody.”

“I'm not friends with popularity chasers,” Noel replied.

“How would you even know if I'm a popularity chaser?” Marcy stood up in her seat and leaned closer to him. “You don't even know me.”

“I don't want to get to know you.”

Marcy sat back down in her seat, “Whatever then.” Marcy was fed up. “You do your part, I'll do mines.” She turned back around and faced the front of the room as Mrs. Rodriguez walked back in.