Chapter 10 - Decisions, Decisions

Start from the beginning

Would it help? I had no idea. Would it hurt? Knowing Albus, it might hurt him, as much as anything else he'd tried, but he would do everything he could to make sure it didn't hurt whichever girl he was considering. I slowly nodded. "Who were you thinking about asking?"

"Well... you know Poppy Stevens?"

"Of course I know Poppy Stevens," I said, smiling. At least he'd picked someone who wouldn't be upset if he ended up not being ready to go past a Hogsmeade outing.

"She's really nice. And, I mean, we're friends, and she's a really good person. I like her, you know, as a friend. Maybe it could be more?" He fiddled with his star chart. "I just think I'll never be able to move on until I make myself. Maybe nothing will happen with Poppy, but I think it might help."

I shrugged. "If you think you're ready, ask her."

Albus smiled, seeming relieved. "Okay." He pulled me into a hug. "Thanks, Wren."

I couldn't help smiling as well; if he was this happy, maybe this would actually turn out well. "I promise, you're going to get over her soon, Al," I said as he finally pulled away. "Everything will turn out okay."

He grinned. "Easy for you to say. I'm not sure you're really qualified to give advice about relationship problems, actually. You're going to end up marrying your first boyfriend."

I felt my face heat up. Honestly, I really hoped he was right. However, I couldn't imagine it. There was always that voice in the back of my head that said James would wake up one day and realize he could do a lot better than simply me. I shoved those thoughts done and latched onto the rest of what Albus had said. "If I'm so unqualified, why do you always come talk to me?"

Albus smiled. "Fair point. Who else am I supposed to talk to, though? Colette?"

I laughed. "She'd be a big help, wouldn't she?"

"Probably tell me romance is for gits," he agreed.

Professor Sinastra glided up just then to shush us and remind us that "the stars await." We fell silent and spent a few minutes starting our star charts.

Maybe this would be best. If Albus could just get his mind off Astra, he'd be able to get over her, too. And Poppy was a really great person. I liked her, and I couldn't really imagine this going so far that they would end up having a bad break-up or anything. At the very least, it would push Albus a little out of his comfort zone and force him to confront his feelings, finally.

"Do you think she'll say yes?" Albus asked after a while.

"Poppy?" I shrugged. "I don't see why she wouldn't, but I don't know."

Albus took a breath. "I've never asked a girl out. It's kind of scary."

I smiled. "You'll do fine, I promise. If it makes you feel better, James was so worried I would say no that he didn't even let me answer before apologizing and leaving."

Albus raised an eyebrow, chuckling. "Why haven't I heard that story yet?"

"He probably swore Astra to secrecy," I said, laughing. "You'll do better than that at least, though, right?"

"I think so?" He smiled weakly. "Could you come with me?"

"Sure, Al," I said, reaching over to pat his arm. "Whatever you need."

"Thanks." He smiled, and we went back to our star charts. Albus seemed more relaxed, though. I wondered how long he'd been thinking about this.

The next prefect meeting was that Wednesday. Until then, Albus was tense and flustered, but refused to tell anyone why. Astra was actually starting to worry he was getting sick, and tried to convince me to drag him to the hospital wing on Wednesday afternoon. I talked her out of it (Albus just seemed nervous, after all, and the new matron, Jericho Cantha, seemed too mean to deal very well with him if he wasn't actually sick), but I was a little worried he was working himself up so much that he would lose his nerve.