Chapter 14

Lila

The refreshment area was crowded with the wealthy socialites attending the polo event. I had picked a plate and was serving myself. 

I jumped when I felt a light touch on my shoulder. "Lila."

Katerina's voice was hushed. "Please, come with me." She whispered. Not wanting to make a scene I put down my plate and followed her.

She led me to an orange grove some distance from the house. The trees proudly displayed their fruits leaving me in awe.

"I think you should know about Marco and I."

I stopped walking. "Whoa, hold on. I don't want to be involved in this mess. I already have my own life to deal with."

I turned to walk away but she grabbed my wrist. "Just please hear me out."

Her eyes were sad and were pleading with me to listen to her. My body filled with empathy for her.

Stupid Hormones.

I sighed and reluctantly said okay.

We began to walk through the rows of orange trees. 

"It started in the summer of last year," she began.

"I was just getting known as a model. My offers had increased and everyone were dying for me to work with their company."

"I absolutely loved the attention I was receiving. You know they say fame changes people. I changed, and it was not for the better."

"That's when I met Marco." We turned a corner and began walking down another row of trees.

"We flirted. I avoided him, and then flirted again. I felt like a damn queen with him." 

"That's when we began our relationship."

"We were going strong for around three months when I got a call. It was from his fiancé."

"I was hurt and angry."

She turned and looked at me with so many emotions in her eyes. "I thought I hated him but now I can't seem to let him go."

I actually felt sorry for her. I know what it felt like to love someone wholeheartedly and have your heart broken from it.

"I can't say that I don't know how you feel," I sighed. "But I'm not going to judge you for your life or your choices."

My stomach rumbled. I patted my tummy, "Baby are you hungry."

Katerina cracked a smile.

"Lets go get something to eat."

The refreshment are was just ahead when Katerina whispered to me, "Thank you for listening to me."

I smiled.

Under the tent, Jon waved us over. "I didn't see both of you so I collected something for you to eat."

My other plate was probably discarded. Thank goodness for my brother. I wasn't in the mood to serve myself again. 

Lunch was almost over. The polo matches would continue after the break. 

When I observed how Jon was behaving around Katerina, a lump formed in my throat. How was he going to feel when he finds out about Katerina and Marco.

She wasn't exactly leading him on but she wasn't telling him no either. He seemed to really like her.

"Why are you so gloomy," Jon waved a hand in my face to get my attention. He had a smile on his face. I forced a smile, "Oh, it's nothing."

"Are you going to finish eating?" he asked.

I quickly put down my knife and fork. "No, I'm finished." I wiped my mouth with my napkin.

"Let's get back to our seats, the matches will soon resume."

I nodded. "Good idea."

He held an elbow for Katerina to take. He held the other one for me to take and I slipped my hands into the crook of his hand.

Oh poor Jon!  I sighed.

That's why I don't like to get mixed up in relationships, they were too complicated and certainly none of my business. 

But how can I help myself when I seem to know parts of the story that others seemed to not know or haven't realized? 

Hello, short update after the long wait, I will work on my updating. 

Just scratching the surface of Katerina's and Marco's relationship. How was it?

Bye