Chapter 23: Take Me Home

Mason's POV

I buried myself in work all week, trying to finish all that I could to have everything set in time for my honeymoon. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be leaving any pending projects while I'm away.

Tonight would be the last meeting I'll facilitate and after that, everything's taken cared of.

"That would be it for today's meeting," I announced. "Any questions?"

Some shook their heads and some said no, and just like that. The meeting ended, tonight I'm officially work free. Only for a few months though, just until after the honeymoon.

I left my car in the parking lot and decided to go for walk  before heading home, today's events placed me in a good mood. Seemed everything went  according to plan.

I bought an ice cream at a nearby store and ate it while I walked around. I watched as people passed by and get on with their lives. Couples walked hand in hand as they ventured out in the city. Families spending the night together and a few people like me who walked alone and enjoyed the surroundings.

Everything seemed peaceful.

It was already  late when I decided to go back to the office and to fetch my car.

I wasn't in a rush to get home so I took a detour at a nearby park and sat on a bench.

There, I let my mind run wild.

I can't believe I'm getting married in a two weeks. I'm nervous and afraid at the same time.

It's not the marriage that scares me, it's the thought of seeing her again. The thought of facing her and having to  pretend like nothing happened. That everything's alright between us. I've kept that facadè for too long and it exhausted the life out of me.

Things changed between us ever since that night in her hotel room in Paris, that night made us see each other in a different light.

I loosed my tie while I waited in the elevator to reach my floor. It's already past midnight, I'm tired and intoxicated I grabbed few drinks after I left the park.

All I want right now is the comfort my bed provides me with.

I trudged along the hallway and quickly made my way inside. I removed my tie and loosened a few buttons on my shirt and went to the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

The door to my room was slightly ajar, I don't remember leaving that door open when I left this morning. Let alone the lights on.

Even in my intoxicated mind, I prepared myself for the worst. It might be an intruder or somebody else.

I caustiously approched my room and slowly pushed the door open. The scene in front of my eyes was something I didn't expect to see.

When Chloe and I broke up, I couldn't bear to throw anything away. Or rather, I didn't want to. But that caused  a problem for me because whenever I see anything that used to be hers or ours, it broke me inside. So, I decided to put them all in a box and tucked it away safely at the back of my closet.

It never crossed my mind that someone would find them.

But today proved me wrong.

Renee was sat on the floor, her back turned to me while she sifted through my stuff and memories.

I could hear her stifled voice as she sobbed quietly while holding a photo on her hand. I knew right then and there that I broke her heart.

"Renee.." I called.

Slowly, she turned and looked at me; her tear stained eyes met with mine.

I don't even know what to say. What do you tell your fiance at a time like this when she uncovered the secret you don't want her to see.

I admit, it's my fault for not telling her.

To be honest, I don't have any words at all. I don't know whether to console her or explain first.

Neither of us spoke for a long time, we only stared at each other. I couldn't ask for forgiveness because I never wanted her to know in the first place, I'm guilty of that.

"Chloe?" she spoke softly. "She's your ex?"

I nodded.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She continued.

I don't know why either. I couldn't bear myself to tell her. Since, I couldn't keep the real person to myself, probably some part of me thought that memories of her should remain mine.

"Do you still love her?" she added.

I couldn't respond either.

"Bullshit Mason! Answer me!"

"You already know the answer." I said. I told her a long time ago, that no matter what happens Chloe would always have a place in my heart.

"How about me? Do you love me?" she inquired.

"Of course I do, you know that."

"Then how could you do this?" She yelled. "Why did you keep it from me?"

"Because..." I started. "What does it matter? You know our story, you know what happened between me and her. What difference does it make if you knew who she was?"

"Because you lied to me! You kept it a secret." she responded. "You even let me be friends with her."

"Is that so bad?" I reasoned. I couldn't believe the words coming out of my mouth right now, I sounded so insensitive and selfish. " Do you want to know why I didn't tell you the truth?" I paused. "It's because I know how you feel about her, I know how much you look up to her. I didn't want to ruin that for you."

"That's not enough."

*****

After our confrontation, Renee left. She said she needed time for herself, to think things through.

I should be out there looking for her, doing everything in my power to win her back.

But instead, here I am at 3 am in front of a door; a bottle of whiskey in my hand as I attempted to drown my thoughts and sorrows away with the help of alcohol.

Times like this is when I needed her the most, Chloe's the only one who could put things back into perspective. That's why after much consideration and argumentation with myself. I've come to the conclusion to pay her a visit.

The thought of seeing her up close brought relief.

With hesitation, I raised my hand and knocked on her door.

Once.

Twice.

Nothing.

Maybe she isn't home.

I sighed.

I was about to leave when I heard the door open, the door isn't opened all the way but it's enough for me to get a glimpse of her.

She must've been sleeping.

"Hi." I greeted.

A/N:  The song Take Me Home by Jesse Glynne  inspired this chapter.

comment and vote! ❤️