Chapter 16: Exposed

"Mason." I called. 

My heart continued to beat faster in my chest as I walked closer to him. I wasn't prepared for this, tonight has been an emotional roller coaster ride for me. I don't think I can go for another ride in that emotional roller coaster with Mason. I'll end up breaking down for real this time.

Slowly, he turned to look at me.

I acted irritated when I spoke to him, hoping the hostility in my voice would drive him away.

I don't know his intentions for showing up tonight and I'd like to keep it that way.  I'd rather be kept in the dark, alone with my thoughts.

"What are you doing here?" I sneered. "What do you want?"

He looked weary and beaten up, he looked just as bad as Marcus. The only difference between them was the emotion in his eyes; a fire burning bright behind it. For the first time since our break-up, the wall he built around himself was gone.

"I want to talk." he stood.

"There's nothing to talk about." I retorted. "What's done is done. You should go home; it's been a long night and I'd like to get some rest." I inserted the key card into the hole and let myself in; I was relieved to see the inside of my hotel room. I felt at ease, once I closed the door I'll be safely hidden away in this haven.

That illusion was shattered when Mason stopped me from closing the door with his hand.

"I came here to talk." He emphasized. 

Even if I resisted, it would do me no good he was stronger than me in nature. All I could do was back away; put some space between us.

My heartbeat rapidly in my chest as he closed the door behind him.

He scoped the room as he walked in; his eyes wandering around, taking the surrounding's in.

I gulped.

I don't know what to say. My mind is running wild, adrenaline coursing through my veins.

This wasn't the first time we've been alone inside a room. Back in Manhattan, we've spent late nights in my office planning his wedding.

This shouldn't be any different but, given what happened tonight. This encounter was unexpected and not to mention confusing and awkward.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves.

I tried to look collected as I can.

"Nice room." He stated. "Classy."

"It's an okay room." I shrugged. "So, what now?"

He was silent for a moment. It seemed like he's contemplating something, I wonder what he's thinking about.

What do we need to talk about?

What is his purpose for coming here?

Is it about what happened tonight?

Is he going to apologize?

These questions wandered my mind as I waited for him to speak. The suspense is killing me; the serious expression on his face as he reflects on himself isn't helping at all.

The longer he puts it off, the more agitated I get.

I was rendered speechless when he spoke, the words that left his mouth wasn't something I expected to hear.

"I need closure," he uttered. "We need closure... We can't go on like this, always on edge whenever we meet."

My heart beat faster in my chest if that was even possible. I knew we were bound to have this conversation eventually.