|14

Lola sat by Haley and zoned out.

How could someone so random suggest that they were related through a mom who isn't even alive for Lola?

He was obviously mistaken, she thought.

"Lola" Luke tapped on her shoulder since he sat on a bean bag and she was on the floor. "You good?" He asked in a lower tone.

She simply nodded her head and turned to face the television. If this guy was being serious, Luke would probably be her brother. She giggled to herself and focused on the screen.

***

MONDAY

Lola woke up abruptly. She had dreamt of her mum and was sweating a lot.

She hadn't mentioned what Chris had said to anyone. Especially since she didn't believe it was true. But all of a sudden it was a thought buzzing in her head and she had questions.

"Morning Lola" her dad said making her jump. She sat up as he pulled the curtains apart.

"What are you doing?" She squinted as the light poured through.

"Waking you up" he smiled sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Don't you have work?" She asked.

"They're doing maintenance in the main building" he replied. "So I was hoping we could spend the day together."

This was a particularly odd request since Lola hardly saw her dad other than on the weekends.

"I'm coming" Shamika said swinging Lola's door open.

"Why're you eavesdropping?" Lucas asked.

Shamika laughed a little since her uncle looked like a malteaser with the light shining on his bald head.

"You guys never talk to me anymore" she whined.

"I asked you if you wanted to go out and you said you was going out with Jared." Lola yawned.

Shamika scoffed.

"I ain't even ask you nothing and you told me you was going out with Jared" Lucas laughed. He thought Shamika resembled his younger sister a lot especially with her habits.

"Well we ain't together anymore" she said walking out the room and to the bathroom.

Lola and her dad laughed with each other and she got out of bed to get ready.

***

AT SCHOOL : LOLAS POV

At break, I walked down the hall towards the outdoor courtyard when I saw a crowd around the noticeboard.

I hung around waiting for them to leave so I wouldn't have to smell someone's nasty breath or musty armpits and went to read the poster. In bold letters read Basketball and the name of the schools team 'TIGERS' and their opponents for this Friday.

I jumped when I felt an arm wrap around my neck.

"You coming?" Michael asked.

"Let go, you're choking me" I said angrily. He still hadn't apologised, the idiot.

"What?" He said letting go and twisting me around so I was facing him. "You still mad?"

"Yeah I'm mad" I scoffed. Boys are dumb.

"Yo I'm sorry" he said smiling widely.

"Do you even know what you're sorry for?" I asked adjusting my backpack straps.