16

They all arrived in London the next day they were going to all stay at the Valentine townhouse all except Nathan of course. Vincent insisted Valerie get to spend her last few weeks as a single lady in her own home regardless of what his mother said. He could not believe he told her if she wanted to stay by herself in her townhouse that he thought was silly she bought anyway then she could do so but the rest of them were staying in their family home.

How had he not noticed how much his mother loved the independence she had obtained when he married Lina. She was hardly the mother he had remember growing up. He wondered if the others felt the same way or if it was just him. He laughed that would be an interesting conversation among them probably with Tory and Victor being the most outspoken of them all. He was in his study when Valerie walked in.

"I thought I would let you know I am going to visit the Duchess of Chester, I told his grace I would visit her when I got back into town."

"Be careful and do not do anything stupid."

She laughed that is the one thing no one called her.

"Yes, your Grace,"

He piquet his brow at the uses of his honorific. He knew his siblings did it to get under his skin.

"But just remember I am not Tory and I have a load of common sense. So, I would worry more about her than me. One never knows what adventures she will find being back here."

Vincent groaned his mind wandered back to Tory's first season and all the excitement surrounding it. How at the time he had let the love of his life go because he was a pig-headed fool? Back then he seemed to think only of scandal and reputation but when they lost Tory he realized nothing mattered more than family and he was a fool to let Lina get away. Granted it took Tory to put him straight on the matter and he went to look for her in Italy. He would not make the same mistakes he did with Tory with Val. He was lucky so far, they all married for love just like his father wanted.

Val made her way up to the townhouse of the Duke and Duchess of Chester and again instead of being greeted by the butler she was greeted by the duchess herself.

"I was waiting for you. I was so excited when I got your letter. I know Ethan will be relieved I will not be talking his ear off about Charles Macintosh."

Val laughed it turned out the Duchess had been more of a supporter than she was. After all she had never once since Nathan kissed her mentioned Charles Macintosh she would have to remedy that. The Vote would be coming up soon. They went into the parlor for tea and to talk.

"Thanks to you I have insisted that Ethan have more people with scientific backgrounds. We are having our first official meeting here next week you of course were the first one. I hope you will be a frequent visitor to these meetings. Next week we will be listening to William Sturgeon talk."

Rose was happy to see Valerie's face light up at the mention of Sturgeon.

"You do not mean the self-taught mathematics and physicist who is rumored to be on the brink of a great invention. Oh, I would love to attend. I will let Nathan know so he can make sure his calendar is clear."

"I mean the one and the same. Ethan said they met the other day and he asked him if he would come and talk to some men who might want to invest in his invention. I am not sure what it is, but I am very excited to hear about it."

They sat in silence for awhile sipping their tea when. Rose broached the subject.

"When did the Earl of Hampton become just Nathan?"