9

It was the night of the ball all her siblings and Daphne were there it was her special night and here she was sitting in front of her mirror scared to death about coming down the grand staircase and into the crowd of people. Maybe she would feel more secure if she knew Nathan was there but for some reason they had not arrived as of yet. She had John instructed if the Earl and his mother arrived she should be told immediately. She Did not understand what she was feeling but yesterday was like she was alone in the world and she was surrounded by her entire family.

Justin sat across from Vincent in the study. There were things he needed to tell him and he wasn't sure how he would take it. Justin was afraid he would think he was not doing his duty but the truth was Val needed something and quite possible Vincent was the only one who could give her it.

"I needed to talk to you about your sister. She is at a loss right not she has not settled in London as your mother had hoped."

"Please tell me she is not being hunted by a mad man, and she is not dressing up like a man sneaking into Whites?"

"No this is more of she misses her home and her family. Your mother is always busy leaving her to her own devices. She tries to keep a brave face, but she is lonely and feels she belongs nowhere."
"I do not understand."

"She feels homeless. She has lived her life in this castle or in your town home in London. Now she has neither. She does not think your family cares about her anymore. Your mother never says anything to her or notices what she is even doing. She gave a lecture for the Royal Society members three times. She has made a point to go out unattended."

"I am sure mother is aware of her outings and has granted her permission."

"Your mother only found out that she was giving lectures when the Duke of Chester invited her to speak at his home to about a dozen members. I still do not know if she is aware of the one she had at the Royal Society itself."

Vincent paled what was it with his sisters they had to both enter male only sanctities? He groaned why could he not have normal little sisters.

"Please tell me she was not dressed as a boy?"

"No, she did not infiltrate them they invited her in to speak. She went as the Lady she is. I should also tell you she has a questionable relationship with the Earl of Hampton."

Vincent arched his brow.

"I was not aware Nathan was back on English soil. What kind of relationship does she have with him. I was not aware she was even acquainted with him."

"He just recently returned to take up his duties as the Earl. He is a member of the Royal Society of the United Kingdom, and they seem to have a very volatile relationship. They seem not to be able to keep from cutting each other with the sharpness of their tongues."

Vincent looked almost relieved if is littlest sister was anything like Tory he might not have to go to London for the season he could stay here and be with his wife and son. Then it hit him like a course of bricks. He could not in good conscious stay home, Val needed to come back home he had failed her. Justin could see the look of bewilderment on Vincent's face. He knew he felt guilty about he had avoided the responsibility of his sister.

"I will talk with her. I did not realize I pushed her out of her own home. I have been so absorbed in my own life I have recently stayed out of the lives of my siblings which I am still in charge of. I am still not sure I am a good head of the family, but I will strive to do better. You made me realize that supplying someone with the basics is not enough when you have spent your entire life being loved and cared for. Poor Val probably feels we abandoned her and all went our own separate ways. I promise Uncle I will do right by her."