3

Today was warm for a winter day and Val thought to take a book and go to the park to read. She was in the middle of the sequel of The Secret Life of the Duchess Ladies Maid, The Secret Life of the Duchesses cook and wanted to know what happened to the cook who had fallen in love with the young master the heir to the Dukedom. Anne was not to happy about the walk after all it was cold out. Maybe it was warmer than it had been so far this winter, but it was not warm enough to sit in the cold while her mistress read her book.

Nathan was riding in the park it would be empty it was to cold for most people but for him he was used to extreme weather. He had experienced a harsh Russian winter, and the heat of the Australian outback. He would notice her anywhere her hair was uncovered, and she was wearing a gray cloak he could see she was wearing a blue dress underneath parts of it were peeking out of her cloak. Her silver eyes he imagined were sparkling with intelligent. He knew they were gray, but they looked more silver to him if anything. He rode over to where she was sitting.

"Good day Lady Valentine."

She looked up he was blocking her sun.

"Good day My Lord. What brings you out this find day?"

"I thought I would take a ride while the park was quiet. And you My Lady?"

She held up her book.

"I thought I would finish my book while getting some fresh air."

"Are you enjoying your book?"

"I was."

She did have cheek and he seemed to not be able to get enough of it. It was all he could think about. Val decided to say something anything the silence was awkward at best.

"Did you know a couple of years ago you were the highest bet on Whites betting board?"

"No, I was not aware and how would you be aware if I may ask?"

"You see my sister was the incomparable that year and they were taking bets on who she would marry, they said one look at her and you would fall madly in love. Then because of your beauty she would fall madly in love with you at first sight. You two would have been crowned the most beautiful couple in England."

"That is pure poppycock."

Val laughed a rich laugh not one of those girls to hide with a prim and proper laugh but a belly splitting laugh.

"That is what Tory thought too, she also thought it stupid men would bet on something so fickle as a woman's heart."

"Your sister sounds sensible."

"That is not what our family would call her."

"Just out of curiosity who was in second place?"

"Jeremy Paxton the Duke of Weston."

"Who did she end up marrying?"

"Jeremy Paxton the Duke of Weston. At least she knew him."

He laughed how silly people were. He guessed people would do anything for amusement even bet on a woman's heart.

"Did you think me, and your sister would suit?"

"Gad's no Tory is to much fun for you?"

Val put her hands over her mouth she had just told an Earl he was dull. Why did he have to show up and cause her such problems all she had wanted to do is find out how the Duchess cook faired with the heir. She got up curtsied and started to run off she could not believe she said that. She could hear him laughing behind her. She hoped she would not be seeing the Earl any time soon.