Chapter III: Interdependence

1:30PM. School had finished for the day. After giving Ronnie a quick spud, we both parted ways.

"Good luck on your date M!" he shouted, "Don't mess it up!"

"I won't!" I replied back.

300 yards away from the entrance, Harriet jumped in her father's car. He was driving a 2007 Ford Crown Victoria, spray painted a marvellous driftwood beige. She waved gaily at me before hopping in the front seat and closing the door. The car steadily drove off. Promptly after, I received a text alert. I pulled out my Samsung Flipshot and read the message. It read, "See you at 3:00."

It was followed by a smiley face. Tittering and beaming, determined to impress her, I ran home to get ready for the date and I wasn't going to let her down. I'd reached the front of my door and searched hysterically for my keys in the depths of my pockets. 30 seconds later, I found them and proceeded to enter the building.

Simone was sitting on the chestnut brown sofa watching Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and Momma was in the kitchen, cooking up risotto whilst reading instructions from the recipe.

"Hello sweetie, how was school?" She gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"It was alright Momma. I got the fastest time in the 100m sprint and I've got a date." I said brightly.

"He's lying Momma, no-one would one to date him. He's too ugly!" Shouted Simone from the living room.

"Shut up!" Screaming back at her with irritability in my voice.

"Never mind her," muttered Momma, "Who's the lucky girl?"

"Her name is Harriet. You know, the one I went to kindergarten with?"

"Awww, you two grew up so quick and now you're dating, how sweet is that!"

Momma grasped my cheeks and tugged hard on them.

"Well you better get ready, you don't want to stand her up do you?"

"No I don't. I think your risotto is burning Momma."

She returned back to the pan on the electric cooker to find the risotto stuck to it. She frowned. Leaving her to sort the dilemma, I went to get ready for my date. My first date. I went through a large and heterogeneous collection of clothes, trying them on in the mirror and posing. I even considered wearing a suit at one point, but then realized that I was going on a date, not getting married to her.

My phone went off again. It was a text from Harriet. "Place?" it read. After long thought and consideration I came up with a venue; Ricks. Ricks was a premium casual restaurant that resided on 4501 Main Street; a fifteen minute drive from my house. After replying back she responded with, "Cool. See you there!"

I wore beige khakis with a floral white shirt and black Timberland boots, topping it off with a black padded causal jacket. Before reaching the front door, Momma gave me some money.

"Here's $150. Have fun and don't come back too late."

"Thanks Momma."

I gave her an unyielding hug and made my way outside of my house. I called a cab and made my way to the restaurant.

"Where are you going?" phrased the cab driver whilst smoking a cigarette with the window open three quarters of the way. He had an Arabian accent and a thick beard, whilst having a pungent aroma of cologne.

"4501 Main Street please. And make it quick." I urged.

"No problem."

Before I even managed to put my seat-belt on, the cab driver sped off into the street, making me fear for my life. I kept a close eye on his speedometer just in case he was driving a bit too mad. 10 minutes later, I arrived outside the restaurant, safe and sound.